Linking to specific timemarks in Youtube videos

Linking to specific timemarks in Youtube videos

Postby quinbus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I just made a cool discovery (undoubtedly known by most other video-aware users, but what can I say? I'm slow! :oops:)

It is possible to link to a specific timemark within any given YouTube video! All you have to do is append the suffix #t=XmYs to the end of the video url, where X is the number of [m]inutes and Y is the number of [s]econds.

So, for example, the video I produced a month or so ago on "Techniques For Using Images in Freeplane" is just under 25 minutes long--too long for a casual listen, but if I broke it up into separate discrete videos, the context and flow between the various sections would be lost for somebody who happens to reach one of the component videos by means of the YouTube or other search engine. By using this little convention it is now possible to have the best of both worlds, to wit: It is possible to create a table of contents for the video, something like this:

Techniques for incorporating Images in FreePlane

It should now be possible (in theory, at least, given resources and time) to make a workable video user library, with links to specific subjects, even if parts of the video being linked are no longer up to date. There is, apparently, a limitation imposed with this forum that only permits 4 urls within a given posting, so it won't be possible to fully exploit any sort of library from within this tool--but the wiki would be ideal for such construction, both cosmetically and technically.

Q!
quinbus

Return to Tutorials