Note taking in Freeplane

Re: Note taking in Freeplane

Postby frogstory » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 pm

I, too, would very much like to see a copy of your map and the related scripts. I am especially interested in the scripts that involve the pop-up dialogs.

Steve
frogstory

Postby pvcproview » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Quinbus,

Any progress on the ZIP file for the Note Taking template and scripts?
I'm sure I echo the desires of many of us who would love to put this to use in our own situations.

I appreciate your videos and get excited again each time I look at them... :P

PVC
pvcproview

Postby boercher » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 am

Q!

Pressure seems to increase ;-) Just send me your files via private email. I'll build an add-on from it and send it to you for review. I hope that this will make it easier for you.

Volker
boercher

Postby quinbus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 am

Hey guys. I'm really not trying to ignore the entire community here. Honest.

In part, I'm just up to my neck in alligators at the moment and have a lot going on (not the least of which involves messing with US Taxes, invented by Satan himself <errrrrrrrrr!> And due in less than a week!)

Secondly, I'm really a bit embarrassed about publishing the "code" in its present form. I can barely even spell Groovy; but I took some snippets here and there and literally force fit them to do what I wanted to do. But publishing this stuff is a little bit like hanging a pre-school finger painting at the Louvre! I'm certain that I've made many inefficient declarations multiple times throughout the script and just generally have taken a structured language and hacked it into non-structured submission. It works for me, but it certainly isn't a work of art.

Thirdly, I'm a little bit stumped about how all this would be shared with somebody who would even be able to take it and polish it up. The scripts are currently constructed on the assumption that there are conditional triggers set for specific styles. Simply running the script wouldn't really do anything except construct the necessary attributes and values; the visual pieces (icons, background colors, etc) are built by conditional styles triggered off of the attribute values created by the scripts. So I'm not really sure how all this gets set up on somebody else's installation. Perhaps add-ons are robust enough to handle it all? What all do I need to send you, Volker, and in what form?

Or, I'm thinking, there's a more elegant way to do all this.

Q!
quinbus

Postby dpolivaev » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Quinbus,

perfect solutions are not always the most efficient and productive ones e.g. if they cost so much that they can not be implemented at all. If there is anything you can share with the other people it is their chance. It means if you just give an example with your scripts and maps it could be enough and in any case more than nothing.

Regards,
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby quinbus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 am

Thanks, Dimitry, for the encouragement. I'm currently traveling, but when I return I've made a note to bundle up what I have and see what I can do about posting.

Thanks for your patience, everybody. I'm a babe in the woods here!

Q!
quinbus

Postby jm34harvey » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Quinbus, et al,

I found this thread because I was searching the forum for templates for nodes. I use FP for different purposes so I have a set of map templates, eg. GTD.mm, conceptMap.mm, etc. I'm using a blogGTD.mm to plan and track my tasks for creating my 1st blog. Currently, I am building a blog.mm template to house my blogging style node templates. Also, when I decide to add the GTD Settings node to an existing map, I copy and paste it from another map. So I wondered whether there had been any discussion of adding a new node from a node template.

Although my solution works for me, it would be easier from a New Node from template dialog.

Just a thought, John
jm34harvey

Re: Note taking in Freeplane - template available?

Postby elwood151 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 pm

this all sounds very interesting and I wonder:
is the template available now? Where can I download it?

Thanks to quinbus, volker and dimitry for the great work!!
elwood151

Note taking in Freeplane

Postby moebiuus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi!
I like the idea with the templates - and now a half year has passed, so it looks like quinbus will not share his template system.
However, thanks quinbus for the idea and the videos!

Here is something similar, i hacked together.
And it is really hacked, because groovy documentation and examples are rare.
So there is a lot of space for improvements (technical and conceptual).
Maybe one of the groovy experts here can clean it up and add something nice (like a keylistener to the datepicker)?
Anyhow, its a start...

The concept is not exactly the same as in the video. Here you have to create a node first, name it and then apply
a template. The template adds style, attributes, inserts tags and can also add child nodes. The tags have the
form of @variable@ - ie: @datetime@ if you write this into a template node text or attribute, it will be replaced
with the current timestamp. You can add the prefix @d or @s to use the dates from the dialog (@d@datetime@).

Get it here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18069993/FreeTemplate.zip.
Please share your improvements!

How it works:
- All template nodes will be dynamically loaded into the combobox from template map
- All assignees will be dynamically loaded from the active map and shown as checkbox
(so new assignees must be entered first time in the "other a." field, or in a template)
- The script checks if the styles from the template exist in the current map and copies them if not.

How to install:
- copy "select_template.groovy" files into userdirectory\scripts
- copy Templates.mm wherever you like it
- adapt "select_template.groovy" script -> enter path to Templates.mm
- Adapt templates.mm for your needs (style and type must have the same name)
- Assign hotkey to script
- copy microba-0.4.4.3.jar to userdirectory\lib
- copy path to microba.jar into Tools->Preferences->Plugins->Script classpath

How to use:
- Create a node
- Press hotkey (or run script)
- Select a template node from dialog
- insert additional data into dialog
- (Assignees should be delimited by comma - already entered assignees will be shown as checkboxes)
- press enter
moebiuus

Previous

Return to Tutorials