Note taking in Freeplane

Note taking in Freeplane

Postby quinbus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 am

A couple of viewers have asked me if I would expand a little bit on the how and why of the various TYPE attributes mentioned in passing in the first video on this topic. Sorry about the oversight--I meant to briefly demonstrate each one but failed to do so.

So to address the oversight, here's an "addendum" that shows how I use each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrEP0zfn-Vs

Q!
quinbus

Re: Note taking in Freeplane

Postby quinbus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 am

Here's the link to the primary video for this topic

http://youtu.be/qd4NUDPuDyQ
quinbus

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 am

Quinbus,

could you share your template map and your set of scripts here? Just put them into one zip file and so somebody else can create an add-on based on them.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby quinbus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

dpolivaev wrote:Quinbus,

could you share your template map and your set of scripts here? Just put them into one zip file and so somebody else can create an add-on based on them.

Regards, Dimitry

Dimitry,

Certainly, but I will need to figure out how to give appropriate credit for the bulk of the work--I just tweaked a little bit to fit my own circumstances.

The other thing is that much of the formatting is done via conditional styles (working together with user-created icons) rather than hardcoded into the script. How does an add-on handle styles and non-standard icons? Of course the scripts will still work whether or not these are present, it's just that there won't be any visual changes made to the map without them.

Q!
quinbus

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

If you add your template map the conditional styles are there.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby boercher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 pm

If you add your template map the conditional styles are there.

Predrag used that for his study planner add-on. He included/installed his own template.

how to give appropriate credit for the bulk of the work

Thank those you remember and add a standard note for those you have forgotten.

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby scottmb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

Quinbus - Thanks for making and posting the note taking videos - very inspirational!

As a VERY novice user, I am looking to better understand this application and all it's parts, so I would really appreciate having your system and scripts available to study and modify for my own situation.

Thanks again,

Scott
scottmb

Postby quinbus » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:18 am

Scott,

The capabilities demonstrated on the video were really just a "proof-of-concept" demonstration. They were really the product of some crudely hacked scripts, cobbled together styles, user-specific icons and some conditional triggers. Together they get the job done, but I personally don't have the programming skills to tidy everything up so that they would make sense to anybody else.

My plan is to post the information here in the hopes that those with more knowledge about such things would be able to step up to making the application customizable for other user's needs:

• Some of the radio buttons, for example, are hard-coded in the script with names of people in my workgroup
  • A lot of groovy statements are repeated for each selected variable in the scripts, when they probably only need to be declared once at the top before the combo box panel is formatted (but what do *I* know?)
  • The number and specific Node Types is again something that really only applies to my unique situation; for a different user, there could be a need for more or fewer choices with completely different labels.

Bottom line: scripts need to be modifiable in such a way as to allow users to customize for their own use cases.

And, if we're doing all that clean-up, perhaps it would be a Good Thing to talk about any functional improvements that should be made.

I'm gathering up what I have and will post it as soon as I have a chance to do so.

Q!
quinbus

Postby geek4allseasons » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 pm

:D :D

Great presentation.

The Freeplane community is fortunate to have you as a member.
quinbus wrote:The capabilities demonstrated on the video were really just a "proof-of-concept" demonstration.

You undervalue (dramatically) what you've done.

I believe it was Northrop that ran (in the olden days ;) ) a NY Times Op-Ed Ad with the following tag Line:
Code: Select all
In High-Technology Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication

The fact they are:
quinbus wrote:the product of some crudely hacked scripts, cobbled together styles, user-specific icons and some conditional triggers.
increases their instructional value. They clearly demonstrate Freeplane's leverage-ability.

Your "naive" approach can even remind "super-geek" :geek: types that a long list of au courant buzzwords aren't required to exploit an emerging platform/technology.

IMO full value in a community is derived from different needs, perspectives and abilities. If polishing is needed and/or desirable leave it to others to pick up the torch.

Watching your video, I realized, :? at least I think I did 8-), Freeplane/mind mapping being a new visual metaphor/paradigm doesn't necessarily need palettes, toolbars or other GUI eye-candy. Control elements can just be part of the map. Addons-based floating root nodes can host all kinds of goodies :idea:. All other things being equal and they usually are 8-) "simple is better".

Thanks again. I enjoyed watching them. :ugeek:

david
geek4allseasons

Postby kingsinger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Whenever it's available, I'd definitely love to get a copy of this template and the related scripts. Great work. This really shows the power and utility of the platform.

KS
kingsinger

Next

Return to Tutorials