FreePlane User Videos

FreePlane User Videos

Postby quinbus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 am

To all members of the FP user community:

We all agree: FreePlane is an amazing mindmapping and information management platform, offering features and value that are unmatched by ANY other similar product out there. For many of us, FreePlane has become the application of choice for hundreds of different uses.

Over the past several months, I've been talking with various members of the FreePlane production team about the possibility of creating some good quality videos that will serve to educate all of us, experienced and newbie alike, about how others are using the FreePlane platform to address their needs. Let's be honest; while many of FreePlane's features are well known and intuitively used by most users from their first introduction to the software, there are many other powerful features that may not be as well grasped. Filters, scripts, styles, formatting, images present mindmappers with tools that no other mindmap program offers.

And that's where members of the FreePlane user community can help each other.

Are you using FreePlane in unique and creative ways? Let me encourage you to take a view minutes and capture your use favorite applications in a short, simple video and post a link here. It doesn't have to be fancy or professionally produced; there are a number of free screencapture tools that will allow you to demonstrate your use case for the rest of us. As good ideas are posted here in this forum, I'll be happy to create links on the wiki that will help newcomers to find and learn about what FreePlane has to offer. Also, if you happen to discover video tutorials produced by others, feel free to post them here as well.

I can't wait to see what we can learn from one another!

Q!
quinbus

Re: FreePlane User Videos

Postby quinbus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 am

To start the ball rolling, I've posted a video on YouTube that explores the various capabilities and uses for images in FreePlane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE3VGoZi0s8&feature=youtu.be

Proof that we're not looking for professional quality instruction here--just some ideas that perhaps will serve as triggers to new ways to use FreePlane mindmaps.

Q!
quinbus

Postby boercher » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Thank you, Quinbus, for this great video.

I wish we had a good possibility to push such good videos on an "official" Freeplane page. As far as I can see we only have a page on how to record videos in the wiki. The very least we should have is a wiki page which collects links to videos (and possibly embeds them) together with small comments on the videos, e.g. with respect to the expected audience (beginner or experts). Does anyone like to start such a page? Other suggestions?

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby quinbus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Volker,

I think we're all on the same page, so to speak. My thinking is that we could use this forum topic as a place to initially share links; it's the easiest way for users to share videos they've found or made. Then, periodically, we'll rake the best links off onto a wiki page similar to what you've done with scripting, so that new users can find them easily. I'm not a wiki guru, but I'm willing to learn.

Sounds like what you were suggesting, correct?

Q!
quinbus

Postby boercher » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Q!

for new videos the forum is fine. But there's a large numbers of YouTube videos about Freeplane already and an overview page could help new users to find the most relevant videos. Someone had to collect and categorize each video (e.g. speaker's language, Freeplane version / is it up-to-date?, topic, ...). As always with wiki: Most important is a good initial page. More users will hopefully help to complete the page and to keep it up-to-date.

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby dpolivaev » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:49 am

Quinbus,

thank you for sharing. I think if you created a shorter video (7 minutes max) it were easier to create and to consume and you had got even more clicks and links.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby quinbus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:24 pm

Agreed, certainly, but I'm not particularly concerned about clicks as a measure of success. The soundbite world we live in drives us INTJ types crazy! This particular video was really just something I wanted to research because I didn't fully understand the various approaches to incorporating videos in FP. Presumably there are others out there that may have the same interests and, if so, they may want to use this video as a part of their own research. Any future productions won't likely be as complex so it will be hopefully easier to balance a focus on brevity with a penchant for completeness :oops:

Let me again encourage users to share their own videos or videos they have come across that they found helpful. Just post the link here with a short description; as the library grows, we'll transfer same to the wiki for broader use.

Q!
quinbus

Postby kunkel321 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:29 am

Very nice training video! Thanks for sharing. The sequence of presentation was nice and you have a good clear voice :)
kunkel321

Postby kunkel321 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Does anyone know if there are any existing videos that show how to use the Change [] box that is on the left of the Properties Panel? Specifically as it applies to setting up conditional styles that effect only the icon or only the font style/color... I found a couple of forum treads that attempt to explain it, but I still have a hard time getting my brain around it...
=========
Same question for the Edit Menu > Icons > Show intersection of child icons.... There's not much in the documentation or forum to show how that works.
kunkel321

Postby quinbus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:38 pm

The primary purpose of the change buttons is to inform you that one or more style elements have been overwritten from the default. For example, if the style in play calls for a 10 point font and you change it for a single node only to 20 point, then the change box will be checked. Unchecking the box will return you to the default setting of 10.

Styles are one of FP's very powerful features that allow you to assemble collection of formatting elements into a single name (or "style"). Instead of manually setting all the formatting elements for a particular look (icons, font, italic, bold, edge color, background, etc, etc), you can simply choose to apply the style to a node for an instant transformation. You edit styles and create new ones from the FORMAT->MANAGE STYLES->Edit Styles menu. There are several "pre-packaged" styles which you can choose to modify, or you can create new ones to suit your needs. The "Default" style controls the way nodes appear (i.e., when you create a node and before any other "style" might be applied). You can apply an existing style to a node by means of the right-click context menu for a selected node, the FORMAT->Apply Style menu, or by means of the property panel pull-down.

Conditional styles! Conditional styles are wonderful! This amazing feature allows you to automatically apply a pre-defined style to a node or set of nodes when a certain condition or conditions are met. Now we're talking about real power here! Say you want to apply a bright yellow background, an exclamation icon and red letters in 14 point font whenever you create an action item in your map. The idea is that you create a trigger that will automatically apply a particular pre-defined styles. The simplest trigger is a case-specific text match in the node core container (something that wouldn't likely be present for reasons unrelated to the conditional trigger, for example something like the text string "TODO:" So, you create a style as described above and give it a name (e.g., "TODO"). You create the trigger for your conditional style when the desired text string is present and the style to apply (in this case "TODO"). So an entry in node core text like "TODO: Call Mom for her birthday" would automatically apply the TODO style to the node, without having to even lift your hands from the keyboard.

There are many trigger combinations (hundreds?) that you can select, from--just play around.

Hope this helps.

Q!

Not sure about intersection of child icons. I use hierarchical presentations frequently, but I don't know what intersections are either. So I hope your question will answer the same question for me!
quinbus

Next

Return to Tutorials