FreePlane User Videos

Re: FreePlane User Videos

Postby boercher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 am

how to use the Change [] box that is on the left of the Properties Panel?

Quinbus has explained it very well. But: We Freeplane developers are currently working on the parts or the user interface that are difficult to understand and I think the properties panel is actually one of those. If you find such things please think about ways to represent it that are easier to grasp. In case of the properties panel, would it help if the non-overridden properties are shown shaded/deactived?

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby quinbus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 pm

In the interest of keeping all discussions related to this topic all in one place, here's a link to a recent thread that relates:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freeplane/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470#p2357

Q!
quinbus

Postby quinbus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Again, a simple link to a continuing discussion under a different topic related to the development of some sort of content and information management system for user produced videos. I offer the suggestion that perhaps the current forum could be modified to fit our needs (creation of a new high-level forum labeled "User Videos" with topics posted underneath this discussion group then related to video topics.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freeplane/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470#p2363

Just a proposal.

Q!
quinbus

Postby kunkel321 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm

quinbus wrote:The primary purpose of the change buttons is ....
Q, Thanks for your reply on this. I have been slowly digesting your response :)
I have a couple related questions, but I'll post them as another topic...
kunkel321

Postby dpolivaev » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:16 pm

I could just make this thread "sticky" which lets it appear at the top of the list.

Should I?
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby quinbus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

dpolivaev wrote:I could just make this thread "sticky" which lets it appear at the top of the list.

Should I?
Dimitry

Well, certainly my vote would be in the affirmative. But my personal preference would still be to convert this discussion group into a new high-level forum under "Board Index" (i.e., a sibling of existing "Open Discussion" and "Developer" discussions) with perhaps a sticky pointer to the new area so people are reminded.

By elevating the discussion topic, the phpBB structure would then work to our advantage: threads under the group would naturally relate to specific video needs/announcements/reviews/etc by subject. Leaving the topic of "FreePlane User Videos" as a thread under "Open Discussion" could easily mean that other threads are added elsewhere in the Open Discussion fora (as has already occurred), necessitating the creation of cross references to make sure similar topics are grouped together. By having a dedicated discussion forum related to videos, we have established a place where people can share not only what they want to see by way of new video modules, but what else they may have found and like. This, in turn, is very helpful in knowing where additional videos might be helpful and with what audience in mind ("newbie" vs. "guru"). And, such a resource would provide all the raw material for a traditional wiki page, gathered together in a single place which can then be periodically sorted, groomed and posted.

This would be a similar approach to what has evolved with scripts--the need, initial sharing and posting of first scripts takes place here in the forum; many of the larger, more complete offerings are eventually posted in the wiki page maintained by Volker Boerchers.

Training videos are often sensitive to a proper viewing order. In order to provide context in any given video, sometimes it is necessary to reference work in a different (earlier) module. We've all had the experience of searching YouTube for a particular topic and finding "Module 3" in a 10-part series, but at least in such a case we know that there are others in the series that come before and after. But with the sort of videos we're presenting in a user community, there is no ordered series--there isn't a master syllabus that describes the series and what will be covered. Without some sort of context a casual viewer can't know that the video they found on YouTube is now no longer relevant due to changes in FP, or that others have found factual errors in the presentation, etc.

So, clearly, I think we do need a collaborative tool somewhere that is related to FP videos. Elevating this topic to "sticky" status will help, but a robust video library is going to require some place where we can reliably collaborate, collect and publish information together.

Q!
quinbus

Postby boercher » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:43 pm

This would be a similar approach to what has evolved with scripts--the need, initial sharing and posting of first scripts takes place here in the forum; many of the larger, more complete offerings are eventually posted in the wiki page maintained by Volker Boerchers.

I didn't want an own scripting forum since for me more forums means less user attention. (We had this discussion.) And I think that was the right decision. There are quite many questions about scripting in the forum but the essential things are kept in Mantis, Wiki, add-ons, scripting API. So historic posts are only of interest in rare cases.

Scripting got only successful after a structured wiki page was available with information on how it works. There was a lot of discussion before that but scripting was far from being finished at that time. I think videos are in the same state right now: There are many videos already that just wait to be made more assible via a good structured wiki page. :-) That said I wouldn't veto against a new forum.

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby quinbus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:21 am

A short (well, for me, at least :oops: ) video that illustrates one way FP can be harnessed for note-taking. I make no claim that this even approaches a best practice, but only offer it in the spirit of collaboration and the hope that it may trigger other submissions and ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4NUDPuDyQ

Q!
quinbus

Postby boercher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:47 am

Quinbus,

that's another great video! Maybe we (you & I) should create an add-on from all your scripts to make it easier to adopt your style of using Freeplane. The list of persons to assign tasks to could be made a preference option. What do you think?

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby quinbus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 am

boercher wrote:Quinbus,

that's another great video! Maybe we (you & I) should create an add-on from all your scripts to make it easier to adopt your style of using Freeplane. The list of persons to assign tasks to could be made a preference option. What do you think?

Regards, Volker

Herr Boercher,

Cool with me, but when it comes to scripting, I'm really only a butcher with a meat cleaver amongst all you surgeons and your scalpels. All my stuff is shamelessly borrowed/adapted from the work of others on this list: Megatop is the primary genius behind this stuff (and may have since developed ideas that are even better); you weighed in with your help as well.

There are undoubtedly much more efficient uses of code to accomplish what I've really just kludged together. Not pretty, but it works.

So maybe we should let this simmer a little bit and see if there are other ideas/improvements?

Secondly, I barely know how to spell "add-on," and absolutely nothing about how to construct one.

But sure, I'm game, when the time seems right.

Q!
quinbus

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials