Browser not responding (FF29.0) when clicking on any nodes

Browser not responding (FF29.0) when clicking on any nodes

Postby orpheus99 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:46 am

Just started today: Working with freeplane.mm

No clues as to why nodes on freeplane.mm which refer to "documentation" result in no response with various forms of "contact."
These nodes contain drop-down notes clearly stating that the node "Opens documentation from the internet," etc.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Orpheus explores confusion
orpheus99

Re: Browser not responding (FF29.0) when clicking on any nodes

Postby dpolivaev » Sat May 10, 2014 10:36 am

I do not understand what you did and what you saw. Please create a bug report and upload there screen shots showing your actions and the results.
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... g_page.php

Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby orpheus99 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Dimitry,
Please do me the courtesy of opening "freeplane.mm." That should not be hard to understand.

I have been down in the mines these past two week with various software packages, such as docear, etc.

Please, just tell me if you can get to any "documentation" from the various "documentation" related nodes on the current version of "freeplane.mm" which becomes accessible, indirectly, from the F1 page, with the most recent download.

Please.
orpheus99

Postby dpolivaev » Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm

I am very sorry but I do not understand what problem you are reporting.
In order to be understood your report should contain concrete and easy to reproduce information:

which map you open
what node you navigate to
where do you click
what you expect
what you see
why it is a problem.

Because I appreciate my time I shall not respond to this thread until your report has quality which makes for me easy to follow it.
Therefore screen shots or even a video can be helpful.
If you do not know how to create a report of an acceptable quality you can ask community to help you.

Regards,
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby orpheus99 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:27 am

freeplane_mm (documentation v1_2).PNG
(35.85 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
which map you open: freeplane.mm

what node you navigate to: hyperlinked "Online doc."

where do you click: I clicked on both the green arrow, and on the hyperlink

what you expect: both of those clicks moved the focus slightly down to the right, to the node "Documentation Maps Online" where I "hoped" to get access to "Documentation Maps Online."

what you see: only that "Documentation Maps Online" received the focus, but since it is not a hyperlink, clicking doesn't result in anything, but the clearly implied function of the map is to bring users to "Documentation."
That "implied function" is reinforced by the red arrow next to "Contributors" which is just under "Online doc" which does, as the red arrow is supposed to indicate (as this fp newbie understands or misunderstands), open an external web page of the "Contributors" to Freeplane.

why it is a problem. It's a problem for me for four reasons:

1) I'm trying to organize my sense of the reference material available for freeplane and the "green arrow+Online doc" doesn't bring me to a place where I can access any "Documentation Maps Online."

2) Since the "freeplane.mm" page is what is returned when clicking in the Help menu in Freeplane v1.2.23, and is labeled "Documentation" in that Help menu, I expected access to "Documentation.'

3) Since I have just begun to familiarize myself with Freeplane, I don't know if there is something I've misunderstood, in terms of what to expect, or if this primary help page for "Documentation" is only for accessing the material made available from the other hyperlinked nodes.

4) The "green arrow" hyperlink titled "Arrow-hyperlink does not work" opens up a lot of material over on the right, and I can't understand how that material relates to a hyperlinked node titled "Arrow-hyperlink does not work."
orpheus99

Postby dpolivaev » Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 am

I agree that clicking on node "Documentation maps online" does nothing and that it is confusing. The reason fir this behavior is that the whole mind map is Freeplane menu reference and its nodes do not substitute but just explain menu actions. So actually I do not know how to fix it: if I associate it with an action it would hide the main purpose of the map namely being a menu reference.

Personally I prefer another Documentation map available as "Tutorial" in the help menu.

Unfortunately the whole Freeplane documentation currently has nobody actively maintaining it. This role is vacant.

Kind regards,
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion