Placement of nodes

Placement of nodes

Postby oshev » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Hello developers,

I've check about a dozen different mindmapping software and, in the end, no wonder, stuck to FreePlane. I really enjoy variety of feature you've implemented. Thank you very much for your work!

There is one feature, though, I miss badly. (Actually there are some more, but I don't want to overload you with my insatiable desires, since the rest is less important :) )

The feature I want was discussed earlier a bit here: http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/disc ... 979?page=0

One of the users wrote:

"Also, free positioning of nodes should allow for the placement of any child nodes in 4 positions :
right / left
and top / down
Currently, you can position children of the root node right OR left, but you cannot position children of child nodes to the opposite side of their parent (i.e. child nodes which are already on the right OR left side)."

I didn't understand what did you decide in the end? Were you going to implement this feature? Or maybe it has been already implemented? I've checked all the settings of the current stable version and taken a look at the latest beta, but I didn't find any traces of it.

Since I work with really big mindmaps, the ability to freely position nodes on both sides from their parent (not only root) is really important to optimally allocate nodes in space. Actually right and left positioning (without top and down) for any node would be already a big step forward. Currently I sort of can do that moving "free positioned nodes" to the side opposite to the original, but then I have to move manually every their offspring to that side, which is awfully time consuming.
oshev

Re: Placement of nodes

Postby kunkel321 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 pm

I agree. It would be nice if, for example, a right side branch had (as expected) subbranches to the right, but also subbranches to the left. The left subbranch would have felt-pointing leaves... (at least I think that is what the OP meant..)

You can "sort of" accomplish this with Free-Positioning.
In the below image, the "LINKS" sub branch is actually a level 1 branch from the left side of the map that has been pulled over to the right.

It would be nice if there was a command to "point node in other direction." It would still fold and behave as a right-pointing branch, but it would overlap any siblings that were pointing in the other direction...

NOt sure if this is even possible. For programic and scripting reasons it might not be possible... It would be nice for "screen real estate" reasons..
kunkel321

Return to Open Discussion