How to sync Freeplane settings between several compupters?

How to sync Freeplane settings between several compupters?

Postby elwood151 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm working on 3 computers with Freeplane and I'd like to have my custom settings, keyboard shortcuts, node styles, scripts and icons on all of them in the same state.
As I'm currently exploring the features of Freeplane, those settings change regularly and I'd like to have a way to sync them between the different computers (Windows 7, Windows XP, MacOS X 10.6).

Ii assume that all those settings are stored in plain text files,so could I use version control or another text-based sync/merge to update them?

Which files/directories would I have to track?

Are there any risks or side effects
- when editing those files e. g. while Freeplane is running?
- if a version control software adds more files in those paths?

Kind regards

Martin
elwood151

Re: How to sync Freeplane settings between several compupters?

Postby dpolivaev » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am

You may try to synchronize some files from the freeplane user directory which is automatically opened by tools -> open user directory.
The most settings are saved in file auto.properties. They include also the list of the last opened files which can be a problem if you perform synchronization between different computers.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby elwood151 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:50 am

Hi Dimitry,

thanks for your reply and especially for the hint on the list of recent files, which does not make sense to sync in my context.
So I'll have to find a way to merge the settings and ignore the files list.

Kind regards

Martin
elwood151

Postby boercher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

We could perhaps split auto.properties in

- one file the actual configuration and
- another file for status information, e.g. recent files, currently opened file, viewer properties etc.

If the configuration file would still have the name auto.properties we had a reasonable compatibility to older Freeplane versions. OTOH "auto.properties" always seemed an awkward name for a configuration file anyhow.

Is it worth a change request at Mantis?

Volker
boercher

Postby pilominco » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:26 am

I have the same problem with the configuration settings for several computers. And I strongly support Volker suggestion about splitting the file. But I have a question: Can I change the location of this file? It would be great to put it in a Dropbox directory together with the scripts so as to make synchronization automatic. Also, I must confess that I don't upgrade to the latest version, beta, or release candidate as much as I should because I don't have a clear idea about how much work it would take to synchronize the settings and the scripts in three or four computers. If synchronizing the settings and scripts was straightforward and automatic through Dropbox, I would certainly update more systematically.
Thanks.
pilominco

Return to Open Discussion