Help for reproducing a bug in Freeplane 1.3.7 needed

Help for reproducing a bug in Freeplane 1.3.7 needed

Postby dpolivaev » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Hello,

We have got a bug report
Two Bugs:
1) When I use a second “map view”, after a while the second view gets stuck. I can't move to see a different part of the map. I can't get to move either by dragging with the mouse, or navigating with the arrows, or dragging the lateral bars.
2) After a while I can't save the file. The program says it is locked for editing because I have opened a second instance of the file.
I need a production level Freeplane, so I think that for a while I am going back to 1.2.23.

Does anybody know what I should do in order to make this happen? I can not fix bugs which I do not know how to observe. And in my own work I actually never use the second view.
It would be also helpful to get screen shots or exact texts of the error messages generated by the program so that I could find them in the program code and may be localize the problem.

This bug report demonstrates the importance of the beta testing. This is an essential and necessary part of the release process and the program can work just as good as it was tested by many beta version users. Therefore I would like to thank anybody trying and using the preview and beta versions and reporting bugs.

Regards,
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Re: Help for reproducing a bug in Freeplane 1.3.7 needed

Postby pilominco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 pm

Dimitry:

I'm horribly tight on time. Catastrophically out of schedule and past the deadline with a project. So, unfortunately, I can´t play with 1.3.7 to try to reproduce the bug. But I can tell you something that may be helpful. I think I have been having a similar problem with 1.2.23. After a while the “Center on selected node” feature stops working. And... ¿You know what? I feel that this new problem, together with the one I previously mentioned with 1.3.7, come from the same place: I have been using, like you said, multiple instances of FreePlane, with, probably, several “map views” on some of them. This happened because I double click on a file in the desktop to open my maps, and by default the program is configured to reopen a new instance of itself each time you do that.

Whenever I have more time I will try to observe all this more carefully. But I suggest you to just blame the multiple instances, like you mentioned yourself in the bug's page. I have changed the options in the configuration menu to open new files in the same instance of the program. I have a feeling my problems will then be put to an end. If that doesn't turn out to be the case, then I will dully report. (In 1.2.23, I mean. I am not reinstalling again the next version, because I have several machines and I have to readjust the keyboard shortcuts, scripts, and other each time I reinstall. By the way, I have several locations for those things, apparently. The “user directory”, but then, also “C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Freeplane\1.x.y”. Am I crazy or we could just have a single place for all of that? Or do we already have just one? Because each time I change versions I seem to be adjusting little things all over the directory tree of each machine. Painful!).

And then, I have a humble question: Why do we even have the multiple instances option? Isn't it exactly the same thing as the multiple files inside a single instance of the program? Furthermore, wouldn't it be better to configure things by default in the other way, so that people don't run in the multiple instances issues inadvertently?

Sorry I haven't diagnosed the thing more carefully. But if the single instance option totally gets me out of this little problem, then I would just drop the whole thing. After all, to change between my files with the new configuration I will just have to press “Control-Tab” instead of “Alt-Tab”. No problemo adapting to that and getting used to it. (And also, it saves memory resources, not that FreePlane demands too many of those for modern standards, but still... Saving is saving.)
Sorry I can't help you more right now. Nonetheless, whenever I can in the near future, I will try to do so. It's just I can't promise anything. :(
pilominco

Postby dpolivaev » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:50 am

Because we have not got any input on this bug from anybody else we think it must occur just in rare spacial cases. So we shall continue with the release of Freeplane 1.3.x without being able to reproduce and fix the problem right now. Any input helping us to reproduce and fix the issue is appreciated at any time. Nevertheless I shall make this topic non sticky because I think after a week it mus have been seen by sufficient amount of people who seem not to be affected.

Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby pilominco » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

I am allright with that.
Miguel.
pilominco

Return to Open Discussion