Cannot install FP on Windows 7, 64 bit!

Cannot install FP on Windows 7, 64 bit!

Postby j888 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:31 am

I've been using FP on my 32 bit PC, but just got a new PC with Windows 7, 64 bit - and I cannot install FP on my machine. I'm using the newest version off of the main page at Sourceforge, but I get the error message: Setup was unable to create the directory C/Program Files/Freeplane.

I've searched the wiki and the forum here and can't find anything that pertains. There's got to be a simple fix for this... what is it!?
j888

Re: Cannot install FP on Windows 7, 64 bit!

Postby elwood151 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:02 am

might that be an issue of the installed Java Runtime Environment?!
If I remember correctly, I had similar problems installing Freeplane on Windows 7 (unfortunately, I do not have access to my corresponding notes at the moment).

Which Java or JRE have you installed? 64 bit?
It might be possible that you need 32bit in parallel.

Sorry for not being clearer, in some days when I'm back at the other PC, I might find more details in my notes on the other PC.
elwood151

Postby dpolivaev » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 am

Freeplane should work with both Java versions, you need just any of them.
The installer does not use Java.
I have Windows 7 64 bit and I experience no problems with the installation.
So I am afraid I can not help. May be some other users could.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby boercher » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:31 pm

j888 wrote:Setup was unable to create the directory C/Program Files/Freeplane.

This doesn't sound like a Java version problem. Do you as installing user have the permission to create directory there? Is it the right target directory?

Volker
boercher

Postby j888 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

I’m running Java version 7, update 51, 32 bit. Cannot check JRE as this button is greyed out.

I’m installing as a Standard User, bit Windows is not asking for permission to install.

As far as the target directory, there is a ‘Program Files’ folder, and a ‘Program Files (x86)’ folder in C Drive, both of them containing applications. Does it matter which one I install to? What’s the difference?

I’m am not very knowledgeable about computers, but here are a couple ideas I’m thinking about.

Since the error message states: Setup was unable to create the directory C/Program Files/Freeplane… can I just create the Freeplane folder myself and then do the install?

Also, I found a review of FP on http://www.x64bitdownload.com/downloads ... ecxtv.html, in which the reviewer states: I've been happily using this program on my previous (32bit) computer on Windows and Linux without a hitch. Now on a 64 bit system, a normal installation doesn't work but downloading the zip version, extracting and running the .bat file works…

So what do you think?

Any other ideas?
j888

Postby dpolivaev » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Probably as a standard user you are not allowed to install any programs in program folders.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby j888 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks dpolivaev. It installed in the Admin user. Funny, because I had already installed several apps in standard user, so I just thought.... Thanks everyone for your help.
j888

Return to Open Discussion