working with Oracle JRE on Mac

Re: working with Oracle JRE on Mac

Postby doncarlo101 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:23 pm

dpolivaev wrote:Actually I think that the solution should also work with JRE if you can find it and manipulate its Contents/Info.plist

It's not just about the info.plist, but also the symlinks. I don't know where to start because the whole jdk directory won't be there if the jdk isn't installed.
doncarlo101

Postby doncarlo101 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:29 pm

dpolivaev wrote:I investigated why FreeMind starts on Macs without problems. FreeMind package contains embedded JRE. ... In my view it is just nonsense because this way you install a lot of duplicated files which never get updated to later versions. As always Apple follows its very own logic.

Ah, so, that explains it. And I agree it's silly. As much as I want to avoid installing the JDK, installing multiple JREs is worse. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Some explanation in the documentation/wiki would be nice, though. As I'm sure I won't be the last one puzzled by this.
doncarlo101

Postby boercher » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 am

dpolivaev wrote:Current guidelines for Packaging a Java App for Distribution on a Mac http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/te ... orMac.html actually recommend that each app comes with embedded JRE.

Can we do that? Agreed, it's not nice to embed the JRE but if it could be done easily we should do it. I guess it's much easier to obey this rule than to behave well on Debian ;-)

Volker
boercher

Previous

Return to Open Discussion