working with Oracle JRE on Mac

working with Oracle JRE on Mac

Postby doncarlo101 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi,

Thank you for a great product. But may I ask when Freeplane will be made compatible with Oracle JRE on the Mac (OS X) platform instead of insisting on Apple Java?

It didn't matter because many java-based programs did the same, but one by one they have all been made Oracle JRE compatible, and Freeplane is the lone holdout left.

Really don't need two java frameworks on the system.
doncarlo101

Re: working with Oracle JRE on Mac

Postby boercher » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm

doncarlo101 wrote: when Freeplane will be made compatible with Oracle JRE on the Mac (OS X) platform instead of insisting on Apple Java?

On other platform we suggest Oracle JRE for Freeplane. How/where is "Apple Java" enforced on OSX?

Volker
boercher

Postby doncarlo101 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:19 pm

boercher wrote:How/where is "Apple Java" enforced on OSX?

Not sure about what you mean by "enforcing" Apple Java. All I know is, when trying to launch Freeplane, I get a message that says:
To open "Freeplane.app," you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to install one now?

If I click "Install", then Apple Java SE 6 is installed.

As I said, just about every Java application did the same in the old days. It seemed Oracle JRE only worked with browsers. As a result, every time I reinstall the system, I always install Oracle JRE before any Java application and see if any of them would play ball with Oracle JRE. Nowadays, Freeplane is only one that still gives me the prompt.
doncarlo101

Postby doncarlo101 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 am

Sorry, any news on this? Or what other information should/could I provide?
doncarlo101

Postby theworldbright » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:07 am

I am currently working with Freeplane on a Mac OS X 10.8. Unfortunately I cannot help but I have been able to duplicate your problem by deleting the default JDK: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home.
theworldbright

Postby dpolivaev » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:23 am

I think the problem is discussed in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1956 ... -java-se-6

See also http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3438

Can somebody check if the proposed fix solves the problem?

Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby doncarlo101 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:20 am

Sorry for checking in late. I was sick and could hardly move off bed the last few days.

I took a quick look at those two pages you mentioned, and it seems the "solution" they give is to install JDK 7, not JRE. It's the same with Apple Java 6. If you let OS X installs it automatically (when trying to launch Freeplane the first time), the JDK--not JRE--is installed.

I was hoping, however, that I don't have to install the full JDK, since I don't do JAVA software development. And, as I said earlier, all other JAVA applications I have (Freemind, Deltawalker, Moneydance and XBMC, to be exact) all work with Oracle JRE 7u51, no JDK required.
doncarlo101

Postby doncarlo101 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:37 pm

OK, I've followed the instruction on the second link and installed JDK7u51 on my system (with the extra steps mentioned therein), and can confirmed that Freeplane now launches without problem.

Still would appreciate not having to install JDK someday. Thanks!
doncarlo101

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Actually I think that the solution should also work with JRE if you can find it and manipulate its Contents/Info.plist
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm

I investigated why FreeMind starts on Macs without problems. FreeMind package contains embedded JRE. Current guidelines for Packaging a Java App for Distribution on a Mac http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/te ... orMac.html actually recommend that each app comes with embedded JRE.
In order to distribute a Java application, you want to avoid dependencies on third party software. Your app package should include the Java Runtime Environment, or JRE. In fact, the Apple Store requires the use of an embedded JRE as a prerequisite for Mac App Store distribution. The runtime sub-element of the <bundleapp> task specifies the root of the JRE that will be included in the app package.
In my view it is just nonsense because this way you install a lot of duplicated files which never get updated to later versions. As always Apple follows its very own logic.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Discussion