Freeplane 1.3.x official beta version

Freeplane 1.3.x official beta version

Postby dpolivaev » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:18 pm

The last preview version 1.3.6_09 has been found stable enough to be moved in a beta section https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepl ... ne%20beta/.
It is an important step towards producing the final release. Now the most users can safely install it and report your experiences and bugs to be fixed before the release.

Kind regards,
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Re: Freeplane 1.3.x official beta version

Postby anatolica » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 am

Hi,
I have tested the latest beta and found out the following, fyi:
  • The new layout does not work with the GUI customization tweaks mentioned here: SourceForge.net • View topic - GUI customization. I used to enjoy the jgoodies LaF but now I cannot use it with the latest stream of betas (thus, I am still using alpha 1.3.2 as my primary Freeplane -with jgoodies-, which looks much better than the stock gui). This is not only an aesthetic but also an accessibility problem (see, again the mentioned thread). Is it possible to tweak the next versions to be able to use different LaFs, as it was? Or, better yet, maybe jgoodies should be included into Freeplane as a LaF and presented in the Preferences window (with Font size etc. options, even.)
  • MindMap Editor: The new map 'canvas' occupies too much extra space. All those tabs, group tabs, shadows, etc. (I don't know the nomenclature yet, but they obviously need one) are even visible in full-screen or undocked single maps even have tabs - as well as the space (canvas) surrounding them (margins?). The maps look like they are floating over an unidentified surface :) Should there be an option to hide tabs; or better, provide with some more specific options in the preferences (display/don't display tabs in the full-screen view, undocked view, etc.)? And please lose the unnecessary frames and reduce the margins to zero wherever possible -if possible. (the gap between the actual map editing area and the application window frame is rather large).
  • simplyhtml: The same margins problem is also relevant to the note panel. I usually use the note panel at the right side and the distance between the actual SimplyHtml Edit frame and the mindmap frame is huge. If you could just remove the unnecessary margins around the editors (both simplyhtml and mindmap editor) and also remove unnecessary frames, if any (or at least use a lighter colour for frames than the dark greys used currently), it would be a big help to slim down the Freeplane interface (as a much sleeker option than the dreaded ribbon) and maximize the editable area. In addition, as an idea to maximize the note editing space, the 'Layout view' and 'HTML Code view' tabs may be replaced with a toggle button on the SimplyHtml toolbar - as there is no option to view both tabs simultaneously, a button to view source would help gain the space occupied by the said tabs, maximizing the actual note editing area and de-cluttering the interface a bit.
  • New 'map groups(?)': The 'map group tabs' and map tabs and their relevant minimize, maximize, undock buttons: I am still trying to figure out how they should work. When I open two map groups (I mean, those represented with the bottom tabs) and try to arrange them as one group above and the other below, this sometimes triggers the split screen and sometimes not. And when I close all open maps, there is always one open and hidden -so cannot be closed. This is especially true when the note panel is open - even when I close all maps, the note panel displays the last note I have been editing, whereas the map editing canvas shows nothing.
  • Panel states in full-screenThe full-screen used to remember open-closed panel positions (especially for the note panel): When I am editing in the normal view with the note pane open; and switch to full-screen view and close all panels (including note panel), on returning to the normal view, the note panel (and all previously open panels) were restored. From this view, when Ire-entered the full-screen view again, the note panel (and other panels) visibility states were restored to their previous full-screen status (in my case, closed), and so on. Now, when I enter into full-screen, the note panel stays open, even if I closed it in the 'previous' full-screen editing session.
Hope this helps. Thanks for your efforts,
Cheers,
Ayca.
anatolica

Postby dpolivaev » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm

The new layout does not work with the GUI customization tweaks
I have never used the tweak and can tell you nothing more. I am sorry about that.
The new map 'canvas' occupies too much extra space.
If you leave only one map opened in the central Freeplane window and either close or undock all other maps the tabs are not displayed.
the distance between the actual SimplyHtml Edit frame and the mindmap frame is huge
There is no regression. May be we improve it later in the next versions but not for 1.3.x
The 'map group tabs' and map tabs and their relevant minimize, maximize, undock buttons: I am still trying to figure out how they should work
They are not developed for Freeplane, it is just a library which we integrated in order to better support working with multiple maps and on multiple screens.
The full-screen used to remember open-closed panel positions (especially for the note panel)
AFAIK nothing has changed here. I just have checked that Freeplane 1.2.4 also does not maintain separate states of note panel for full screen mode and windowed mode. I agree that it would make sense.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby andressf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 am

I) I am having a problem with the operation of multiple frames.
I describe below how it happens (just in case: in the Environment of the Preferences, the two options for a Single program instance are on).

1) open two maps, A and B, next to each other.
Two tabs appear: the tab of A has no icons, the tab of B has three icons (undock, minimize, close).

2) Drag one of the maps so that it docks as a vertical or horizontal frame.
One of the maps will then appear having a tab with the thre mentioned icons. The other map will have no tab.

3) Close the map that has a tab by clicking on the "close" icon of that tab.
Result:
- an empty canvas: no map A nor B, though I closed only one of the maps.
- the map that appeared with no tab in step 2 is nowhere to be seen, but it is still open. Indeed, in the top bar above the menu bar, this map is described as open (for instance: "B.mm - Freeplane - Mind map mode C:\......\B.mm"); besides, if I try to open this map again the program does nothing. To make it visible again, I have to first close it via the menu File/Close current map (If I closed the map by simply closing Freeplane, and then open it again, the map would automatically be opened but, again, it would not be visible).

Well, I am not sure whether what I am describing is the product of a bug or a wrong handling. Could anybody help? Thanks beforehand.

II) An additional question: is it possible to open the same map multiple times in the same instance of the map?
andressf

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm

I) I am having a problem with the operation of multiple frames.
It is already fixed in the source code.
II) An additional question: is it possible to open the same map multiple times in the same instance of the map?
View -> new map view
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby andressf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks, Dimitry.

Andres
andressf

Postby kewapo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 am

A problem with the Spanish special charset (ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú)

The problem with freeplane in version 1.2.23 if I export the map to a html java applet is solved in this version. But if I export my spanish map with all accents and the ñ letter I see the map I send to you with all letter changed so people can't read this accented words.

In freeplane I see all charset without any problems. And if I export it as html - flash all its ok too.

I send to you my map. You can export it as java applet and look at the result. I have changed in preferences this charset choosing UTF-8 with the same result
Attachments
tipificaciones.mm
its a map with spanish ñ and accents.
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
kewapo

Postby dpolivaev » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:26 pm

I fixed the charset export issue. Next time please report bugs in bug tracker not in forum because I think this information is not relevant for the majority of the forum readers. Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Return to Open Discussion