Background Images

Background Images

Postby theworldbright » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:41 am

Hello Freeplane Users,

I have been working on implementing the new background image feature, and I would like to get some feedback. Although the preview is not out yet, here is how I plan for it to work.

You can access the new background image feature in two ways:

- Top Menu Bar -> Format -> Map Background -> Background Image
- Map Pop up -> Map Background -> Background Image

Clicking change will bring up a new file dialog in which you can either select a bitmap (png/jpeg/gif/etc) or SVG image. If you are at 100% zoom, a bitmap will display with its original size in the background, while an SVG image will scale to fit the canvas. Both bitmaps and SVG images will scale with the zoom appropriately, unless they become larger than the canvas itself.

To print with the background image as a frame, you can select the “fit background image to one page” option in the print setup dialog. The print preview should then look like the following:
as a frame.png
(367.57 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

If you do not select that option, the print preview will focus on the nodes itself by default:
fit to one page.png
(178.25 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

Here are some possible concerns:

The background color is reflected behind the text of the nodes. This is both a pro and a con, as it allows the text to be seen more clearly but the rectangular square that the background color forms can be considered ugly. For example in this image the green background is reflected behind the text:
green background.png
(373.36 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

- When printing, the imageable variables in the print method essentially give a border to the paper. This is fine with just regular nodes as it ensures nothing is “cut off”; however it can make some background images that are “frames” not fill the entire A4 paper and thus look less appealing.
theworldbright

Re: Background Images

Postby abc163 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:04 am

Great news and thank you for your hard work!

Can nodes be moved freely and pinned on the background image?

abc
abc163

Postby theworldbright » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 am

Hello abc,

The background image is automatically centred on the root node and currently is not movable. I am not crystal clear on what you mean by "pinned" onto the background, but this new background feature does not exactly add any new functionality besides the ability to display, clear, scale, and print the background image. I will also, as Dimitry has suggested, add a way to match the background colour to the current background image.
theworldbright

Postby abc163 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Please forget about the "pinned". I'm afraid I just made things complicated. In my case I don't want to put the root node on the centre of the image since it could block the information on it, so I was wondering whether nodes (more accurately root node) could be moved. But now I think it is fine. I can put the image on a larger canvas to solve the problem, just a bit more work to do. So looking forward to the background image and thank you! :)

abc
abc163

Return to Open Discussion