Very slow on windows 8

Very slow on windows 8

Postby el-ahrairah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Searched for this topic, but didn't see anyone else with this issue.

Been running Freeplane on Win 7 for a couple of years, no problem. Installed it on my new Win 8 workstation, and once I open a map, Freeplane (Java) is using about 50% of cpu even though I'm not typing anything. Entering text or moving nodes in the map is excruciatingly slow and error prone.

Anyone else have this problem? Any cures?

Running Freeplane 1.2.23 with Java 1.70_45.
el-ahrairah

Re: Very slow on windows 8

Postby iainkewley » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Works fine for me on Win 8.1
iainkewley

Postby dpolivaev » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Does it happen with a specific map or with every map? What happens if no map is open or if only one new map is open?
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby el-ahrairah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Well, those are very good questions. I've loaded numerous maps, and sure enough, it's only happening with one (it's my GTD map that I keep open pretty much all day, which is why it seemed the slowness was all the time). Still, I keep this particular map (size: 34k) in sync with a Win 7 machine via Google Drive, and there is no problem with it on Win 7. Opening it on Win 8, though, causes Freeplane to consume 50% of cpu (according to Task Manager), even if I'm just looking at it and not touching the keyboard. Other GTD maps do not do this.

I removed Java and installed the 64 bit Java instead, but am seeing the same symptoms. I've been googling for hours looking for how to address this type of java performance problem in win 8, but haven't found anything.

Is there a "debugger" for maps that might uncover the mystery?
el-ahrairah

Postby dpolivaev » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 pm

There are tools for investigating such problems, but they are for professional use only. Personally I use yourkit from http://www.yourkit.com/

1. If you want me to have a look at your map create a bug report at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... g_page.php and upload your map there. You can mark your bug report as private so that only you and freeplane developers can access it. May be I have some idea about the problem origin after I see the map.

2. There is a small probability that different behavior on different computers is due to different user configurations. Try to remove file autro.properties placed in your user configuration directory on the both machines and tell me whether it changed the observer behavior.

3. If there is no other way to solve your problem I could remotely investigate your application as described at http://www.yourkit.com/docs/yjp2013/hel ... wizard.jsp, but it can take us time and I would not like to use it as the first choice option.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby el-ahrairah » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Problem is not Windows 8.

I was able to reproduce it on another Win 7 machine; the cpu effect was not as pronounced (about 30%), but still clearly an issue.

By going through and removing nodes from my map one by one, I narrowed the problem down to one particular node. It is related to attaching an image to this node; by removing the image the problem goes away (cpu drops to < 1%), and reattaching the image brings the problem back. However, it is not just the image; by manipulating the characters in the node core text, I can make the problem come and go. I could not detect any particular pattern in the node core text changes; sometimes adding characters caused the problem, sometimes not; sometimes changing one character caused the problem, sometimes not.

I have reported this as a bug in Mantis, per your instructions. Thank you sir.
el-ahrairah

Postby dpolivaev » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Thank you for the reporting.

I could not see any difference between your too example maps, but I am using the latest preview version.
Could you please test how the latest preview versions 1.2.24_04 and 1.3.6_09 handle the maps on your computers?

you find them at https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepl ... 20preview/

They contain some bug fixes for the images too.

Please report the results here.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby el-ahrairah » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for checking. I take it that means that you are seeing normal low cpu utilization on both files. However, I'm getting the same results as before with 1.2.24 and 1.3.6; that is, test.high.cpu.mm still causes high cpu utilization and test.low.cpu.mm does not.

Interestingly, if I open them both in the same freeplane instance (in two tabs, that is), test.high.cpu.mm only causes high cpu rates if I'm on that tab. If I'm looking at tab test.low.cpu.mm, cpu returns to normal.

Also, if I don't put the sample image in the proper spot, that is, if instead of displaying the image I see the message

FileNotFoundException
blahblah\images\Capture.jpg (The system cannot find the path specified)
images/Capture.jpg

the results are still the same as above. This suggests to me that it's not a problem with the particular image file.

As you can see from the sample files, I'm getting around the problem by changing the word "mixing" in the node core to "fixing", but that's just weird.
el-ahrairah

Postby dpolivaev » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 pm

OK, next test: please try all values of option Environment -> Cache -> for images available in Preferences dialog (Menu tools -> Preferences) in Freeplane 1.2.24_04 . Restart the program each time you select a new value. Let me know if the CPU load remains the same or varies with different option values.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby el-ahrairah » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:25 am

Tried all three options with 1.2.24_04, but the results were the same. Still seeing high cpu utilization on the high cpu example. It bounces around a little too much in the 40% to 50% range to say if there was a noticeable difference, but the utilization was still high.
el-ahrairah

Next

Return to Open Discussion