Freeplane not automatically numbering new nodes

Freeplane not automatically numbering new nodes

Postby steveh_66 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am

Hi all, I hope this isn't a question that has been answered before, I searched the posts and could find nothing on the subject. In the properties panel I checked automatic node numbering after finding how to do that in the manual. I had selected all the nodes, and it numbered all of them, which was exactly what I wanted.

But, whenever I add a new node, it isn't automatically numbered. Is there another setting somewhere else that I need to change so that my new nodes will be numbered automatically? Thanks
steveh_66

Re: Freeplane not automatically numbering new nodes

Postby dpolivaev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:27 pm

You can change the style used for new nodes so that they appear numbered.
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby steveh_66 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Thank you for the reply dpolivaev, but it still isn't working. Perhaps a further explanation, as this problem is happening with new nodes created after I make my changes on the Properties Panel. And the problem isn't just node numbering, I am finding that other formatting options i choose are not being applied to new nodes either. In the first map, I wanted node numbering, and I expanded all nodes and their children, selected all, and then applied node numbering in the side panel.

These nodes were number, so all fine so far. Then, I continued to add new nodes to my map, a story outline I am putting together. The new nodes were not automatically numbered when created, I had to again expand all nodes and children, select all, and apply the change for outline numbering again. Got tired of that, so just said "heck with it" and decided I would go without node numbering. So, today I am working on my map and I decide to change the background for the map to black and the font colors to green, as I do not like black on white text which seems to strain my eyes. Expanded all nodes and children, applied the font color change, and it worked right?

It kind of worked. All existing nodes got the changed font color. Any new nodes did not, and I have been having to go through and use the "Edit node core in dialog" opened from right clicking on a node, then selecting all the text and changing it's font color to the color I want.

So, it would appear that Freeplane applies the changes to existing nodes just fine. However, it does not apply the changes to any new nodes you create. Does not matter if it is a new sibling node on an existing higher level, new child node on an existing node, whatever. I created a new mind map from the start, figuring "well, I'll just do this new map with the properties I want, and then go through the effort of moving all the information from the old map to the new one, then get back to getting some work accomplished." So, there I was, my new map created and that first central core node in the font color I wanted, and I said "Oh boy, now we're cooking with gas!" But no I wasn't. I hit insert to start a new node, and started typing and nothing was showing. Saved the node, right clicked on it, selected "edit node core in dialog" from the menu and the editing box popped up. Sure enough, the text was black, it hadn't applied the green text color I had chosen in the Properties Panel.

I would like to use Freeplane for my mind mapping needs, it seems to be an awesome mind mapping tool! But, I need my new nodes to take on the new properties I want, without having to edit the nodes in the dialog box. So, anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to fix this problem. Many thanks for any assistance you folks can give me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit : I did figure out what dpolivaev meant about changing the styles. I used the default style, created a new style called myDefault and tried that. But new nodes don't automatically use this new style. Every new node reverts back to the default style. Is there a way to have myDefault as the default style always applied to new nodes? Also, the new style only shows up in the style list for the file I created it in. It does not show up in the style list when you open a new map, or another existing map.

Steve
steveh_66

Postby dpolivaev » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:00 pm

All new nodes automatically have default style by default. It can be changed using a feature called something like "conditional styles for map". Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby steveh_66 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Thank you dpolivaev. That works like a charm. All you have to do is to create the style you want and then follow the procedure you described in your last post and that style is applied to all new nodes. Thank you so much for your help.

Note to other users : If you want these new styles to be available in any new map you make, you have to edit the default template used for new maps, and add this new style(s) to the template document.
steveh_66

Return to Open Discussion