Using Freeplane (with Scrivener) in a writing project

Re: Using Freeplane (with Scrivener) in a writing project

Postby andressf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Dimitry,
I see that the new Freeplane 1.3.6 beta_pre06 has incorporated a new URL handler. I have been testing it in some programs under Windows 8.
1. It works really fantastic in Scrivener as Document Reference. Now, clicking on the document reference, you can access from within Scrivener every node of a Freeplane map. If Freeplane is not open, you must click twice on the Scrivener document reference link (the first one to open the map).
2. It does not work in the editor of Scrivener.
3. It does not work in MS Word, nor in MS Excel, LO Writer, LO Calc. In LO Calc it worked a couple of times but after some trials, it stopped.
The problem seems to be that the text processors and the sprreadsheets of the above mentioned programs do not recognize the handler (LO Writer, besides, began to behave in an strange way: it created dozens of back up files in 5-10 seconds, and I had to stop the program with Windows' Task Manager. But this is surely a problem of what seems a buggy LO Writer, since I have noticed it in other circumstances). On the other side, Scrivener recognizes also Freeplane maps and these can be incorporated in the Scrivener's Draft (it is true that you may need to make a little -or not so little, sometimes- manual rework).

Of course, I maybe making some fault when creating links to FP nodes in these programs. It would be great if somebody could test this URL feature (FP 1.3.6 beta_pre06) and report the findings.
Anyway, thanks for your great work.
andressf

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 am

Andres,

please check how it does not work as follows:

1. open freeplane, try to click on the hyperlinks from different programs and upload the log file in a bug report
2. close freeplane, try to click on the hyperlinks from different programs and post here what programs let freeplane start and just do not open the map or do not select the node.

I think I can fix the issue at least for MS word where I did this tests and know how to solve it.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby abc163 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

The URL handler works perfect in both LO writer and Calc (4.1.4 installed version in XP). Both need to use Ctrl+click.

Does anyone know how to use it in Emacs org-mode?

abc
abc163

Postby andressf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Dimitry,
in relation to your requests, above in
https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freeplane/posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=854&sid=6c86c4da79817729ac1279b2be69c4ad#pr4178
1. I uploaded to Mantis (ID 0002085) the file log.0 and the files I used for the test
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/freeplane/view.php?id=2085

2. Working in Windows 8, I tried to reach the same node in Freeplane, using the same URL in each of the programs mentioned below.
In each case, I closed previously Freeplane, the last map in view at the moment of closing not being the map containing the aimed node. Then, I clicked (or double clicked or CTRL clicked, as needed) on the hyperlink, with the following results:

1. Word 2002 (SP3) (format doc)
FP does not reach the aimed node. It opens on the root node of the last map opened in the previous session.

2. Word 2013 (format docx)
ibid.
(the only difference is that I got a paternalistic long warning message about the danger of opening a unknown program, Freeplane in this case. Typical Microsoft).

3. LibreOffice Writer 4.1.4.2 (format odt)
The aimed node is reached, but the map that appears in view is the last in view when previousy closing, which not necessarily is the map containing the aimed node (this result can thus be misleiding).

4. Excel 2002 (SP3) (format xls)
same as with Word 2002.

5. Excel 2013 (format xlsx)
same as with Word 2013.

6. LibreOffice Calc 4.1.4.2 (format ods)
same as LibreOffice Writer.

7. Scrivener for Windows 1.6.1.0 (format scriv/scrivx)
As I mentioned earlier, this works really very well when the hyperlink in Scrivener is a so-called Document Reference. It does not work when the hyperlink is in the editor: in this case, Freeplane does not even open.
andressf

Postby dpolivaev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm

try preview 1.3.6_07. Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby andressf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:24 pm

Dimitry,
I cannot test the hyperlinks to the new FP 1.3.6 beta_pre07 version. When I try with any of the programs above mentioned, Windows 8 answer
"No applications are installed to open this kind of link (freeplane)".This in spite of having installed freeplane.exe as default application for .mm files (so much so that if I click on an individual mm file, freepane opens it immediately). I think that the problem may be that Windows 8 wants that freeplane gets installed via the setup installer (the 07 preview does not include the installer).

Edit 1.- installing freeplane in the directory c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) or wherever, makes no difference.
andressf

Postby andressf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 am

Congratulations, Dimitry !! And big thanks!!
All programs (Word 2002 and 2013, Excel 2002 an 2013, LibreOffice 4.1.4.2 Writer and Calc, and Scrivener 1.6.1.0 for Windows) can reach now every node of a Freeplane (1.3.6_beta pre07) map through an URL hyperlink from Freeplane. And now this is true, in addition to Scrivener's Document References links, also for the links inserted in the editor of Scrivener (in this case, the hyperlink must be created as "No prefix", so as not to include the head "File:///").

One last adjustment is still needed for the feature to work 100%: that the map that gets in view (in front of the other maps simulaneously open) when the hyperlink is clicked on is the map that contains the aimed node. Currently (1.3.6 beta_pre07) that is not happening. The map selected to the front is the last in view when Freeplane was closed in the previous session. Exm.: the maps opened in the last session were a, b, c, x, y, z. From these, the map x was the one in the front when I then closed Freeplane. Now, I have (in any of the programs mentioned) an URL hyperlink to the node b1 of the map b. When I click on that hyperlink, Freeplane opens all 6 maps, but the one visible is the map x and not the map b containing b1 (the aimed node that, however invisible at first glance, has correctly been selected in the background).

I think the usefulness of Freeplane for other applications has now been immesely multiplied by this feature (and by ricochet, the usefulness of those applications, and the reach of Freeplane as knowledge management tool), so as could be seen, for instance, in Steve's (frogstory) video.

Dimitry: big thanks again.
andressf

Postby frogstory » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm very excited about this new capability! Big thanks to Dimitry for implementing the protocol. Scrivener and FreePlane now feel like one tool to me -- one very powerful tool. I think of FreePlane as my reference database, and Scrivener as my writing tool. And I can now easily get from my writing tool to a specific item in my reference database. And because FreePlane has such powerful searching, filtering, and linking capabilities, getting to that one reference item gives me a doorway to all the related reference items.

I've also managed to get links to FreePlane nodes to work in Jarte. Jarte is a very simple, but very useful word processor. It's actually a wrapper around WordPad, with added functionality. It's much smaller, faster, and less complicated than, say, Word, Scrivener, or OpenOffice Writer, so I use it for things like my daily journal. Jarte allows hyperlinks to the web or files. But until now I was not able to link to a specified node in FreePlane. But I found a workaround.
(Auto Hyperlink Detection must be turned off in options.)
1. Paste the URI into the web address field.
2. In the Text To Show field, type http:// and paste the URI to append it to the http://.
3. Click OK and Jarte puts the text to show into the document (but the link still goes to http...)
4. In the document, edit out the http:// prefix. The link now goes to FreePlane.
It's a bit of work, but, to me, well worth it. Actually quicker to do than it appears.

FreePlane rocks!

Steve
frogstory

Postby dpolivaev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 pm

One last adjustment is still needed for the feature to work 100%: that the map that gets in view (in front of the other maps simulaneously open) when the hyperlink is clicked on is the map that contains the aimed node. Currently (1.3.6 beta_pre07) that is not happening.
It was a bit tricky. I hope I got it right now. Andres, please check it in the next preview when it comes.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby andressf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Excellent! I'll do it with much pleasure.
andressf

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion