Using Freeplane (with Scrivener) in a writing project

Using Freeplane (with Scrivener) in a writing project

Postby andressf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 pm

I found a very interesting video about the use of Freeplane in a real writing project (a novel):
http://vimeo.com/60226233
The video is in principle about the integration between Freeplane and Scrivener (a writing software, not a word processor), but in fact, the video is about the use of Freeplane in the phase of research preceding the writing process itself (before the final editing phase with a word processor), more than about the integration between FP and Scrivener. I have seen that more and more writers (novelists, academic researchers, journalists, business planners) are resorting to the use of these two programs together, what in fact also shows the growing application of Freeplane in those domains.

P.S. The author of the film mentions that the link with the URI of a node is not working as intended: if you click the URI link in Scrivener, the FP is open instantaneously but the node specified by the portion #ID_.... of the URI is not selected. You have to search manually for the node especified in that portion. I have myself found this problem (also in other programs). It looks like it is a problem with Windows (see http://vimeo.com/82996062 The author shows a way to fix the problem but it would be best if it could be done from within Freeplane itself). I would be thankful if someone could help to fix this problem (maybe with a script?)
andressf

Re: Using Freeplane (with Scrivener) in a writing project

Postby frogstory » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:14 pm

I'm the author of that video. I'm glad you found it interesting. I followed it up with another video that shows a solution for linking from Scrivener to FreePlane with one keystroke, using AutoHotKey.
You can view the video here: http://youtu.be/Dp_U55ZUOxA
If you are using Windows, you should be able to modify my AutoHotkey script to work with your system. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Scrivener has very good research management built in, but FreePlane offers much more flexibility for searching and viewing, so I use both. I'm currently using Scrivener and FreePlane together to write a novel, and I'm deep in the writing and editing phase. While writing a passage, I often follow a link from Scrivener to FreePlane to check a historical fact, or just to re-read certain sections of my notes as inspiration.

Steve
frogstory

Postby dpolivaev » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:59 pm

The author of the film mentions that the link with the URI of a node is not working as intended: if you click the URI link in Scrivener, the FP is open instantaneously but the node specified by the portion #ID_.... of the URI is not selected
I think it already works in 1.3.x previews. Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby andressf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 pm

Steve, Dimitry,
thanks a lot for your answers.
I describe below what I have been trying to do, with negative results. My excuses for the detailed description, but I hope that it can help to understand why the URl is not working from external programs in the way it is intended. I thought to report a bug, but I thought that reporting the problem here first could make a bug report not necessary.

I am working with Freeplane 1.3.6 beta_pre05, windows 7 and 8.

1. In LibreOffice, copying the URl of a non-root node, I make a link, for instance:
file:/C:/Users/andres/AAndres/AndresMinMaps&Notes/AAGG_010-tasks_&_quick_notes/AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305
Then, when I CTRL click this link, I get this message:
"Windows cannot find 'C:\Useers\andres\AAndres\AndresMindMap...\AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305'.
Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"

2. in Scrivener
I first copy, in Freeplane, the URl of a non-root node:
file:/C:/Users/andres/AAndres/AndresMinMaps&Notes/AAGG_010-tasks_&_quick_notes/AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305
I then paste it into Scrivener (in external document references) and it creates this link:
file:///C:/Users/andres/AAndres/AndresMinMaps&Notes/AAGG_010-tasks_&_quick_notes/AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305
When then I double click on this link, I get not to the ID_492424305 node but to the root node of the map.

3. Steve describes in detail what happens, in his youtube presentation ( http://youtu.be/Dp_U55ZUOxA ). If I am not wrong, the situation is this:
copying the URl and pasting it in Scrivener, a link is created as
a) file:///C:/Users/andres/AAndres/AndresMinMaps&Notes/AAGG_010-tasks_&_quick_notes/AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305
but Scrivener needs this form of link:
b) C:\Program Files\Freeplane\freeplane.exe C:/Users/andres/AAndres/AndresMinMaps&Notes/AAGG_010-tasks_&_quick_notes/AAGG_AA_tasks&quicknotes.mm#ID_492424305
As I understand, Windows needs thus the address of the executable program (freeplane.exe) first, which is lacking in the simple URl (so as in a)), and besides without the head "file:///"
I pasted thus in Scrivener the right link (b)), but I get an error: "Reference Could Not be Oppened..." (Scrivener reforms the first part of this address using the "/" slash).

4. I have also tried WordPad, but it does not recognize the URl either. I have not tried MS Word.

5. Following Steve's indications, I installedthe AutoHotKey program and created a Windows script (see the content of this script below).
When I then copy the URl of the above mentioned non-root node and click on the hot key Windows Z, I get not to the to the ID_492424305 node but to the root node of the map.
In this case, the result is the same as in 2 above. But my script is surely not right. And I do not know how to insert the right link form in Scrivener (what is the relationship between the document reference and the script? Supposing that the script would be right, how should I apply it to insert the right link form as a Scrivener's reference?).
The script is this:
----------------------------
#z::
Click 2
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
ypos ^=20
MouseMove %xpos%, %ypos%
Click
Send ^a
Sleep 20
Send ^c
Clipwait
ClipboardContents = %clipboard%
StringTrimLeft, filemode, ClipboardContents , #
Run c:\Program Files\Freeplane\freeplane.exe %filemode%
return
-------------------

Many thanks for any help.
andressf

Postby frogstory » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 am

I think the problem is in the third line from the end in your copy of the script. You have the pound sign (#), but you need the number eight (8), to tell the script to strip out the first 8 characters (file:///). Give that a try and let me know it it helps.

Steve
frogstory

Postby andressf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:56 am

Steve,
thanks again for your kind help.
I changed the # sign to an 8. Unfortunately, I does not work.
Maybe I am making a mistake when applying the script. I do not see yet what the relationship of the script is with the link in Scrivener's document reference: I first copy the URl, then run the script, and what must I do next? I have also tried running the script first, then copying the URl and next pasting the URl in the reference.
andressf

Postby frogstory » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:57 am

I may have been unclear about one step in the process. Running the AutoHotKey script prepares AutoHotKey to respond to the Windows-z command. You must point your cursor at the text of the link (in the Scrivener References tab). That is, hover your mouse over that text (not the icon), then hit Windows-z. Do not double-click on the icon at the left of the reference, as you normally would in Scrivener.

Steve
frogstory

Postby andressf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am

Steve,
You must point your cursor at the text of the link (in the Scrivener References tab). That is, hover your mouse over that text (not the icon), then hit Windows-z. Do not double-click on the icon at the left of the reference, as you normally would in Scrivener.

I followed these instructions with mixed results: it works sometimes but mostly(I would say 70-80%) not. I can see no pattern that would allow me to say when it works.
andressf

Postby kingsinger » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 am

On a Mac running the 1.3.6 beta, clicking the Freeplane generated URI in Scrivener opens up the freeplane map file in a text editor, rather than engaging the freeplane program.

Edit: Actually, when I changed the default application that opens .mm files, then the uri opens in freeplane. But it doe not go to the correct node.

Not sure if it is relevant, but perhaps the link below has some info that might help get the links opening correctly in freeplane on the mac.

http://fredandrandall.com/blog/2011/07/ ... ustom-url/

If the custom osx app url was implemented for the mac version, then at least somebody could write an add-on that people could use to capture links for use outside Freeplane.

The bigger issue, however, is that if one is using both Freeplane and Scrivener in a cross-platform mac/windows environment, that could be a problem in terms of parsing the links correctly (unless scrivener is programmed to account for that).
kingsinger

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:41 am

it looks like we should register new protocol handlers for urls of the form freeplane:///file.mm#id to windows, linux and mac. We shall discuss it in the developer list.
Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Discussion