Freeplane and Health Informatics

Freeplane and Health Informatics

Postby iainkewley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:53 pm

We have been using Freeplane for some time as the basis for our business information system. The result (which we call iHub) was a finalist in the UK's Health Informatics awards = see http://www.ehealthawards.com/excellence ... telligence. We did not win but just being in the final is a remarkable achievement for a product from open source.

This "mind map" now approaches 7000 nodes and continues to grow. We have a video of an earlier iteration at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvFscsfc_U

For clarity, while the iHub's administrators use Freeplane, the hundreds of "users" use the Java applet in their browsers.

Our next steps are looking at ways of improving the visual appeal of the product which is really the one area where Freeplane is perhaps behind the commercial competition. While I think features must always come first, penetration into serious "markets" would be much more likely if the output looks perhaps more professional. Nonetheless, Freeplane is still by far the best out there. So many thanks for a great product that has allowed us to create a truly valuable tool

Iain
iainkewley

Re: Freeplane and Health Informatics

Postby boercher » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 am

Hi Iain,

this is exciting news for me as a Freeplane developer! I like the way you have used many Freeplane features that grew over the last years. Since it's very motivating to see ones work being used we surely have an interest in supporting your project. I'm looking forward to your requests and contribution to the "visual thing" - it would be great if we could improve on this side.

Your YouTube video is one of the best Freeplane demonstrations - maybe you could add "Freeplane" as a keyword so that it can be found by searching for "Freeplane" on YouTube.

If you need help with bundling functions and visual tweaks, e.g. as an add-on don't hesitate to ask.

Volker
boercher

Postby iainkewley » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

Volker

Thank you. I've added Freeplane as a tag on the video. In terms of the visual enhancements I think the background is the first thing I would alter preferrably allowing gradients and an image "watermark"

In terms of functionality the ability to directly import a range from excel and display it i source formatting as well as auto refresh would be good. We get round these issues by using some macro enabled spreadsheets that export ranges and charts as jpgs at the touch of a button, simply over-writing the existing image files, which allows the data producers to update their charts etc without the map administrators being directly involved. We would be happy to upload the base (empty) versions of these somewhere for other Freeplane users to use if it would be of value. They produce results which are much better that the examples in the video, and include dashboard tools such as dials, thermometers etc

Iain
iainkewley

Postby i2000s » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Hi Iain,

Do you use it as an online documentation so that users can add on more information, or you just let users download to their computers for desktop use only? I am interested in a collaborative use of mindmap with many users. Maybe you can share some further information here. Thanks.

Regards,
Qi
i2000s

Postby iainkewley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm

The majority of the information displayed is in the form of images, derived from Excel spreadsheets (by the use do clever little macros). We have 3 classes of users:
1. The largest group can simply view the map in their web browser via the java applet
2. A group of data providers can produce new versions of the graohic files (ie update graphs etc) by replacing the existing jpgs with new ones of the same names. They do not alter the basic framework of the nodes
3. Those who can alter the nodes. We only have 4 people who do this and they have distinct areas of responsibility and do not overwrite nodes that do not concern them

Iain
iainkewley

Postby tmtmeds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for sharing with us great post about this topic.
tmtmeds

Return to Open Discussion