Freeplane NEW FEATURES LIST +++ PLEASE

Re: Freeplane NEW FEATURES LIST +++ PLEASE

Postby kewapo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 am

I use both, mindmaps (with freeplane) and concept maps (with Visual Understanding Environment, VUE http://vue.tufts.edu/).

Concept maps are much more than nodes and links. Is necessary diferent shapes, colors and links (dashed, dotted...)
You need a way to grouping nodes and to insert nodes inside other nodes. You can look at the free tool VUE for more information.

I think freeplane is the best free tool to make mindmapping, but it will be a poor tool for conceptmapping because there is a lot of work to convert freeplane in a concept mapping tool.
kewapo

Postby wordmuse » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:30 am

Here's my list:

1 - I would like to be able to customize the toolbars so that my most frequently used commands (MFUCs) are a click away.

I would bet that, like most other programs, we each have our MFUCs. Being able to customize the toolbar would likely
make lots of folks at least a little happier.

2 - Improved node appearance: Gradient and bitmap fills for nodes. Drop shadows and bevels would be nice too. Freeplane comprises a graphic environment. I'd like a way to redefine the primary graphic elements with my own graphics.

3 - Multiple parents to give the possibility of using Freeplane as a concept map as well as a mindmap.

4 - 3D (single file) mindmaps, where the third dimension is represented with tabs and comprise drilldowns of nodes in their own mindmaps.

5 - Workspaces that can include two or more mindmaps, where file operations can open and close workspaces as well as individual files.
wordmuse

Postby glen_coakley » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:24 am

Dimitry, could we add some of these ideas to a voting mechanism (survey, poll, etc)? It would be much easier to get appropriate feedback. Could also, perhaps, use something like userVoice.com?
glen_coakley

Postby dpolivaev » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:45 am

I think that such voting would make sense only when some developer is about to decide what feature to work on next which is currently AFAIK not the case. Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby endlessloop » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:23 pm

There is VUE for concept map and nice visual rendering and FreePlane for mindmapping. These two tools are very fine, each of them is good in its proper domain.
Maybe, an useful feature, to get the best of these two "worlds", would be to have some export from mm (freeplane) format to VUE format, if it is conceivable.

Regards.
endlessloop

Postby jcadbiz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 am

About multiple parents - Dimitry - I would like to see any alternative display that shows such linking. It does not have to be the same level of interactivity - the benefit of a parallel process would mean a chunk of work but it wouldn't screw with existing code. This would be a chunk of code, but would use the existing API. Would like to think through the entire graphical representation: Hit a key - there's the tree/object to crawl around on. I really need to think this thru. I'm about to go for funding including a budget for outsourcing. For one thing, I think (for sure) that I'm describing two separate views - one for the super-linking and one for the graphic. But that would be cool. Totally fine.

Following up: I'm betting that a graphical engine can do the required machinations starting from a properties layer in the main code that will get the appropriate linking and type data - I assume this layer is standard procedure for FP plugins. So - anybody know good candidates for the graphical engine library in C or Java?
jcadbiz

Postby edo_f » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:17 pm

a new Filter functionality: an "On/Off" button (or checkbox) to indicate that the filter should behaves the normal way or a new "opposite filter" way

in detail:
when not checked: the filter behaves as usual (you indicate the nodes you want to see)
when checked: the filter does just the opposite: hides the nodes it would normally show and shows the ones it would normally hide for that specific filter conditions. (you indicate the nodes you want to hide)

What for?:
Sometimes you want to review a map but want that specific nodes and their descendence are not visible anymore. To do that in the normal way its not posible.
For example, I use mindmaps for taskmanaging and I have nodes which represents tasks and as their descendence I put some subtasks but also a lot of another information too. For representing tasks and subtasks I use the "unchecked" Icon. When the task is achieved I replace the "unchecked" icon with the "Checked" one.
When I have "checked" subtasks as descendents of "Unchecked" ones its not posible to see just the unchecked nodes and its information, but not to see the checked ones and their descendents. (The "Show descendents" or "Show Ancestors" options dificults this possibility)

I'm sure it can become a very powerfull functionality and I hope that the changes in the software's logic shouldn't be too dificult (Filter functionality is allready there). I know that at first glance it looks not necessary, but I'm sure if we had it we will use it a lot and appreciate it.

Please think twice about it before ignoring it: Work a few days in your mindmaps and you will see that if having this functionality you would do some things in a diferent and easier way. The more I think about it the more I love this idea.

(I'm not a natural english speaker. Sorry if I was´nt clearly enaugh)

Just my 2C
Bye,

Edo F
edo_f

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:36 pm

In filter editor you can create filter as opposite to any other filter using the "not" operator applied to any other filter condition. Isn't it what you need?
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby edo_f » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:43 pm

I think not cause of the "Show descendents" or "Show Ancestors" options. they are not affected by the "Not" operator. I will try again and will let you know.

Thanks

Edo
edo_f

Postby edo_f » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I solved my "new filter funcionality" issue. I wasn´t able to do it with the NOT option. The solution was using the "Script filter" functionality.

I posted the solution here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=940

Bye,

Edo
edo_f

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion