freeplane collaborative tools add-on

Re: freeplane collaborative tools add-on

Postby frogstory » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:52 pm

When I have edited a map and hit F12 to commit the change, I get a popup that asks for a comment.I enter the comment and click OK. Then I get the popup I don't need: Your map has been committed to the versioning system (or some such message) and I have to click OK again. I think this is the popup you tried to eliminate in this build,but it is still there.

Steve

Windows 7, 64-bit
frogstory

Postby seb4stien » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:36 pm

To disable confirmation popup, you have to check the "Quiet mode" in the preferences :
http://freeplanecollab.sourceforge.net/ ... #configure

I re-installed it locally with the latest published release and it works for your use case.
If checking the "quiet mode" doesn't work, could you try to uninstall and re-install it ?

Sébastien
seb4stien

Postby frogstory » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 pm

I wasn't aware of the configuration settings. I set quiet mode and now I do not get the unwanted popup.
Thanks.
frogstory

Postby seb4stien » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Great :)
seb4stien

Postby i2000s » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Is there anyway to install this tool in Docear? Docear provided a button named as "Docear Add-ons (mind mapping)", but clicking it can only let me to a webpage, nothing about how to add plugins. Does anyone know the solution?
i2000s

Postby seb4stien » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 am

Hi,

the question has been asked on the docear bug forum : http://www.docear.org/support/forums/do ... thread373/

Sébastien
seb4stien

Postby i2000s » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm

seb4stien wrote:Hi,

the question has been asked on the docear bug forum : http://www.docear.org/support/forums/do ... thread373/

Sébastien

I asked that question in the Docear forum... Seems there is no explicit solution so far. What's worse, the developpers of Docear seem not being interested in your add-on, and they would like to work on their own online-callaboration feature only.

By the way, if I have files linked to one mind map, and cited Bibtex references in a mindmap, can you think out a way to make those links and citations work in different computers? I found this is a big problem of making this online collaboration feature widely appreciated.

My method is to use Bibtex as a database for all links and citations, which is independent of mindmaps and can be locally customized. Once the mindmap got changed and synchronized, the related Bibtex entries can be appended to the users' Bibtex library (*.bib database associated with the project). In a references management software end, such as JabRef, different users can define a root directory of local files linked to the *.bib file entries. In this way, the mindmaps can be well synchronized among different machines, and all links will work locally once the links are written into corresponding Bibtex entries and are extended into the projects' *.bib database locally. A good thing for this method is that it is compatible with Docear--the developers of which are now heading to selling their online service rather than implementing this space/time-saving feature for users.

You may have better ideas. I appreciate it very much if you can realize it in the framework of freeplane.

Regards,
Qi
i2000s

Postby seb4stien » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Hello,

I am not sure to understand your use case since I haven't worked with Bibtex.

If this results on using multiple files in one folder (+ subfolders), then you can manage this folder through cvs and share it with other users.

Do you have a sample project available so that I could look at a real world example ?
seb4stien

Postby i2000s » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:54 am

Attached is an example with notes, pdf links and BibTex citations. The PDF links are defined related to the project's main directory and BibTex repository path.
Attachments
literature_and_annotations.mm
(43.11 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
i2000s

Postby seb4stien » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 am

I installed docear to understand how the different files are organized.

I don't see exactly what could be shared between users and what must stay local.

A way to ease collaboration could be to add the whole docear_workspace directory under a file versionning system.

However I'm not familiar with docear enough to see if it would work, neither to see what feature could help you in my add-on.

If you have some time to show me how you are handling this today and what you think could help, contact me privatetly so we can look further.
seb4stien

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion