Error log messages

Error log messages

Postby quinbus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Just noticed this morning that down on the STDOUT were notices of several error messages. Went over and examined the logs and noticed that there were actually many complaints (it turns out it is a function of how long the map is opened and how many nodes are visited during the session--one of the logs had over 2500 lines).

The errors fall into two different categories, all related to formatting.

The first are of this type:

Aug 4, 2011 9:17:01 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils warn
WARNING: cannot format <p style="text-align: center">
<b><font size="5" face="Californian FB">Asia Area CP Coaches</font></b>
</p>
<p style="text-align: center">
Conference Calls
</p>
&amp;
</p>
Meetings
</p> with %.0f: For input string: "<p style="text-align: center">
<b><font size="5" face="Californian FB">Asia Area CP Coaches</font></b>
</p>
Conference Calls
</p>
&amp;
</p>
Meetings
</p>"

The second type and which constitute by far the biggest majority of the log entries are of this nature:

Aug 4, 2011 9:17:01 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils warn
WARNING: cannot format 040511 CP Coaches SKYPE call with %.0f: For input string: "040511 CP Coaches SKYPE call"

The references to "040511 CP Coaches SKYPE call" is the name of node. The list of errors of this type follow the same pattern, varying only by the specifics of the node detail...

Is there something I need to change on my end?

Q!
quinbus

Re: Error log messages

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 pm

As always please create a bug report and submit a map (or its part) for analysis.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby boercher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 am

WARNING: cannot format <p style="text-align: center"> ...... with %.0f ....

The node has a "%.0f" format assigned which is a numeric format (1.234 -> "1.2" and 1 -> "1.0"). This does not work with the given text so the formatter complains that he has to leave the text as it is.
Since node format is a rather new feature I enabled some more debug output. What if I limit the size of the cited node text to, say, 20 characters? Or should the message be suppressed at all?

Regards, Volker
boercher

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:31 am

I think just the output / logging is not helpful. It is a standard situation that the content changes, it is not an error case.
I think Freeplane should either simply ignore incorrect formats or remove them.It is probably better to ignore so that the format can be applied if the new content changes again.

Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby boercher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 am

I think Freeplane should either simply ignore incorrect formats or remove them.It is probably better to ignore so that the format can be applied if the new content changes again.

Apart the log message the problem is ignored.

In Excel if one uses a non-applicable format (like a date format on a cell containing text) then there is no message or notification at all and the user has to recognize such "problems" for himself. Perhaps we should actually do the same and suppress the logging completely.

Volker
boercher

Return to Open Discussion