DroidPlane Android App

DroidPlane Android App

Postby bekoeppel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Hello all

I have developed a DroidPlane, an Android application to open FreePlane files. I have tried other mind mapping applications for Android, but none of them could handle my mind map with 70000 nodes. DroidPlane can handle big mind maps without a problem. However, the mind map is not displayed in a traditional layout like in the desktop application. The Android application always displays only one node and all its child nodes in a list. By clicking on any of these child nodes, you can drill down further into the mind map. Also, at the moment, it can only open mind maps in read only mode, so there is no way to modify the mind map.

You can find the application in the Google Play Store, it is free. I collect crash reports (for debugging) and statistical infos online. This is why the application requires the permission to access the internet. The application does not upload any sensitive information.

I have only tested it on Nexus 4. I would appreciate feedback, especially whether the application worked on other devices.

Thanks, Regards
Benedikt
bekoeppel

Re: DroidPlane Android App

Postby boercher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi Benedikt,

great idea to start with a simplified app! Looking forward to using it.

It seems that the sources are not publicly available. What plans do you have about the future of DroidPlane?

Volker
boercher

Postby bekoeppel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Volker

The plan is to make it Open Source. I haven't published the sources yet, because I want to read about different Open Source licences first :-). I hope I find time to do that tomorrow :-). I'll post the link to the repository here then.

Benedikt
bekoeppel

Postby ldmpub-nospam » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:29 am

Welcome here Benedikt :D .

I've tried your app on my HTC Desire HD: it works perfectly! I just don't have "back" button like written in the help map (upper left corner) but I don't care because I use my hardware back button.

Obviously the first missing feature is "search" for text in the map :oops: .

I will follow your project with interests.

Note :
I haven't found a good way to read my mindmaps in Android and yet I save the maps on my computer in PDF and then transfert them to my Android device. What are your best practices / installed Android apps to read Freeplane mindmaps under Android ?

regards,

Nam
ldmpub-nospam

Postby bekoeppel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Nam

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it! It's good to know that it works nice on Android 2 as well. The "back" button was introduced in the Android API version 11, (it's officially called the "Application" button). You can either use the hardware back button, or the "Up" button in the menu.

The search functionality is on my To Do list. I can't tell you when exactly I'm going to implement it, but it's something that I need as well, so it might not take too long :-).

Well, my previous way to read my mind map was the following:
1) automatic export to a *.txt file, whenever my *.mm file changed (with my mmtotxt.pl script)
2) automatic synchronization with Dropbox
3) opening it on Android with VI Touch Improved
It was a very ugly solution, and quite difficult to read the document on Android. Now that I have DroidPlane I only use this app :-).

By the way, I just released version 1.0.2 on the weekend, and 1.0.3 today. With these new versions, the mindmap stays open when the screen is rotated. In the landscape view, it has a nice column layout so that you can actually see more than just one level of the mind map.

Regards

Benedikt
bekoeppel

Postby ldmpub-nospam » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Hello,

Your solution with VI Touch Improved was even worst than mine :mrgreen: .

By the way you have done a great job :D you manage to solve the issue "background color on old Android device" even before I had the time to complain here :D ;) .

Go on guy with the search feature, best regards,

Nam
ldmpub-nospam

Postby bekoeppel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 am

Hi all

I have some good and some bad news. The bad one first: I'm working on my Master thesis now, this means that I have very little time to spend on DroidPlane. This is the reason why I haven't updated the code since a few weeks. But the good news is that I decided to open-source the code. I uploaded the whole project on Github: (https://github.com/bekoeppel/droidplane) and put it under the MIT licence. I feel that this licence will give the biggest freedom to use, change and possibly also integrate the code into other projects. Feel free to poke me if you don't agree and would prefer another licence.

Feel free to fork, submit bugs and modify the code.

Benedikt
bekoeppel

Postby kunkel321 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 pm

I just wanted to say Thumbs Up for DroidPlane.
Hopefully it will be further developed in the future.
kunkel321

Postby jkrakowski » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 am

Many thanks!

Its quite fast. awsome. I hope the feature to read notes in nodes will come quickest :D
jkrakowski

Postby kenfhill84034 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:51 pm

bekoeppel wrote:I have only tested it on Nexus 4. I would appreciate feedback, especially whether the application worked on other devices.

Working great so far on Sony tablet S. I like it. I plan to use it for reading sermon notes at the podium that I make in FP on my laptop.
kenfhill84034

Return to Open Discussion