Compute links with formula or other means

Compute links with formula or other means

Postby hallvard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I have a map with lots of hyperlinks, that mostly share the same URL site prefix. I would like to be able to set this URL prefix once for the whole map, e.g. as an attribute on the root node, and compute the actual links, to make it easier to reroute all the links to an alternate site, e.g. for testing. An alternative would be to find/replace the URL prefix, but find/replace seems to only see text content, and not links. Hence, I have to find/replace in the xml source, which isn't a satisfying solution.

I general solution would be to map the hyperlink to a predefined attribute and use the existing formula support.
hallvard

Re: Compute links with formula or other means

Postby boercher » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 pm

It works with formulas, but not in a clean way, see the attached map:

1. Solution: Compute the uri and set it to an attribute. Unfortunately this attribute does not work as a hyperlink since Freeplane doesn't recognize it as such.

2. Solution: Let the formula create the link on the node. Such side-effects are completely against the intention of formulas and there is no guarantee that it will continue to work forever.

Regards, Volker
Attachments
compute-links.mm
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
boercher

Postby petra1973 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi,

at my working place, we use huge mindmaps with loads of hyperlinks to external documents. Unfortunately, the network administrators enjoy changing the folder structure of the hosting network from time to time. For me, this means changing all the absolute or relative hyperlinks within the mindmap manually. I use a text editor (Notepad++) and its search/replace function within the map's XML, but it is still not easy to not get confused or miss something.

To solve this problem and become more independent of the administrator's moods, I'd like to build a kind of representation of the relevant folder structure directly within the mindmap. So that the link could be built using the stable node IDs of these nodes containing the network folder names. Thus, when a network structure change is coming, I just need to rebuild the folder structure model within the map to be operational again.

From the provided example (previous posting), I can not really grasp the idea, how formulas can be used to generate clickable hyperlinks. Could you explain the principle a bit more? Or is there already a more convenient (or built-in) function for solving this problem?

Thanks.
petra1973

Postby boercher » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 pm

petra1973 wrote:at my working place, we use huge mindmaps with loads of hyperlinks to external documents. Unfortunately, the network administrators enjoy changing the folder structure of the hosting network from time to time.

Some suggestions:

1. Try to convince the network administrators not to break their user's applications if there is no absolute necessity. Perhaps the time others needed to adjust for the changes is a good argument for the management to stop administrators enjoying these changes.

2. If there are proper reasons to change the folder structure try to convince them to create symbolic links (also available on windows) to keep existing applications working.

3. If nothing helps, write a script that a) adjusts the paths and b) validates the paths in a script. See http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freep ... ?f=1&t=872

Volker
boercher

Return to Open Discussion