New version of Insert Image add-on

Re: New version of Insert Image add-on

Postby abc163 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 pm

I tried to insert svg, but it didn't work, just a big red cross, and the pane didn't show any svg preview . When this feature is done, it can be used as a drawing tool in note-taking, I think.

abc
abc163

Postby rickenbroc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 am

About the two points of svg and extension
- the svg will only work in extension because that format is already supported by the rendering engine of the node external object. This is not the case for the details, note and core. Even if you try to put an svg image in one of these containers manually, by using the dedicated html tags, it will not be rendered by FP. The html engine will have to be modified by the FP team in order to support SVG before it could work with the add-on.
- similarly, there is a bug with the current version of FP when you try to add an image as extension. It has been corrected by boercher for the next version, correcting by bounce the insertion in the extension. If you add an image in the extension manually before using the add-on, it will work as planned.
rickenbroc

Postby andressf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:54 am

Rickenbroc,
1) in the dialog box, the row "Link target" allows to select both "image path" and "as legend" simultaneously.
But if you select both of them, the result in the respective container is that only the "as legend" link works.
It looks thus like these alternatives are intended as mutually exclusive. If this is so, I suggest it should be made not possible to select them simultaneously.
Or, if they are allowed to be selected simultaneously, the result in the container should be that both image and legend work as links. (I do not see the use of this. But maybe some people could want this alternative to be included).
2) I still see some slow reaction of the add-on when calling the preview square and when clicking on the links (image or legend). Sometimes I had to click twice a bit slowly (but not too much) for the add-on to respond. Idem for the start of the add-on. (On the contrary, the synchronization of the resizing of the preview square with the changes in the scale of the dialog box works now very well).

Many thanks again.
andressf

Postby abc163 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am

Rickenbroc,

Thanks for the explanation.

abc
abc163

Postby quinbus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm

andressf wrote:Rickenbroc,
1) in the dialog box, the row "Link target" allows to select both "image path" and "as legend" simultaneously.
But if you select both of them, the result in the respective container is that only the "as legend" link works.
It looks thus like these alternatives are intended as mutually exclusive. If this is so, I suggest it should be made not possible to select them simultaneously.
Or, if they are allowed to be selected simultaneously, the result in the container should be that both image and legend work as links. (I do not see the use of this. But maybe some people could want this alternative to be included).

Andressf, the way I've interpreted the options is that the three circles deal with the CONTENT (i.e., "link target") of the URL, while the square box (as legend) deals with presentation. The first three choices (circles) let you designate whether you want to 1) use the url address of the picture or 2) designate a target of your own (as in in the case of a click on the picture would open some other resource instead of the opening the picture) or 3) chose to have no url.

The square "legend" box controls whether the url will be triggered by means of a traditional URL with blue underline or whether the image itself will serve as the clickable element that fires off the link. I personally rarely select the "As Legend" option, preferring to just click on the image to get where I want to go. The "As Legend" option might be useful, I suppose, if the idea of the picture being outlined in blue was in some way distracting from the presentation, or if you wanted to embed the url to the picture in with other text in the container.

From my perspective, the option to do one or the other isn't offensive--it's just that I rarely use the "As Legend" option. To make it so that both the picture AND the Legend/Link did the same thing would be superfluous, it seems to me. The current binary choice makes sense to my use.

Q!
quinbus

Postby quinbus » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Rickenboc,

After continuing to work with this amazing tool, I do have an observation that I would add to those shared by others.

When pasting in an image from clipboard the script collects information about where the copied image will be stored, providing a chooser dialog to do this. In this process, the script constructs a placeholder name for the image, based on the name of the FP file. While this method works fine, I think it would be more helpful if the proposed file name was generated from any available node core text present in the currently selected node. In maps with many InlineImages stored in the same folder, use of the node core (text) will at least stand a chance of suggesting a name that would be unique in the folder. And, if the links should ever be lost (as in moving the folder to another platform), the image name would be related to the node to which it was originally tied to.

Of course, in cases where there is nothing in the core container, perhaps something related to the node id number would be the next best default.

Just an opinion.

But, great work, brother! Love it!

Q!
quinbus

Postby rickenbroc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

hello,

Please find joined a new version that takes the text in the node as default filename (shrinked to 32 chars + a timeFlag).
If the node text is empty, it will propose the node id instead.
I have made the extension inscrustation work to, but only with full pathname, not with relative one due to a limitation of setUri(String) method.

That version works fine with the last preview FP 1.3.5 alpha, at least on my Windows XP computer.
Attachments
insertInlineImage.zip
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
rickenbroc

Postby boercher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks for the new add-on release, Eric!

I find it important that the add-on can be found on the add-on page. Could you add the necessary links? I would also appreciate if the add-on source directory would be in some Github or Bitbucket repository. Bitbucket also has a download page, see for example the wikdnode add-on.

Best regards, Volker
boercher

Postby rickenbroc » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Any clue why I can't add the add-on file in wiki ?
It complains that the mime type (xml) is not conform with the .mm extension.

The source is available in Bitbucket here:
https://bitbucket.org/rickenbroc/insert ... add-on/src
rickenbroc

Postby jokro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 am

Hi rickenbroc,
Thx for the addon you and Voker made.
I would like to link to the addon from addon dView, from the file context menu.
I would like to invoke your addon with the pathname or File of the image, so the user doesn't have to add it.
For this it is necessary to have a method to pass the pathname to your addon. Could you add this method ?
Regards
Jodi
jokro

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion