change node side assignment

change node side assignment

Postby prof1010 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 pm

New to Freeplane, cannot find answer in documentation:
I insert a node and it goes on the right or left, connected to the center.
Later I choose to have it on the other side. I could drag it to the other side, but that causes problems, and get the red handle oval.
How do I change its side-ed-ness assignment to the other side, e.g. right to left? And can I do this for a sibling on its parent?

Thanks.
prof1010

Re: change node side assignment

Postby andressf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 am

1. To move a (group of) node(s) to the opposite side of the root, select it (them) and apply [CTRL + left/right arrow].

2. To move the children to another position around their parent node (e.g. the opposite side), the children must first be converted to free positioned nodes:
- select the children nodes to be moved around the parent node
- Edit/Free positioned node (set/reset)
Now, you can move the children to the desired position around their parent.
Remark: this procedure does not work for children with horizontal edges. If the children have this sort of edges, you must change them (via Format/Edge styles/..., or via the Properties panel, etc.)

Regards,

Andrés
andressf

Postby prof1010 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Clearly explained and each method you describe works well !

This would be so good to have in the beginner's documentation as an illustration or How-to under positioning nodes, especially as you must use two different methods depending on the circumstance. As an expert, perhaps you can suggest it to whomever?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
J
prof1010

Postby oshev » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Well, the problem here that child node of that free node would grow to the same direction from the root as before the change, while I would like them to follow their parent pattern.

Thus, for example, I have a node A which grows to the left from the root. I create a child B which I want to be on the right from A. I make it free node and move it to the righ from A. I create C, a child of B, and... it still grows to the left from root, as A did, while I want it to be like B. :-( Moving every child of B to the right is really inconvenient.

Do you know any workaround for that?
oshev

Return to Open Discussion