Poll Order of menu's in main menu bar

Should the sequence of menu's in the main menu bar be changed ?

I agree with Geoff, the order should be: xxx-- Format -- Node Features -- Styles ---xxx
100%
I disagree with Geoff, the order should be left as it is
No votes
I don't care
No votes

Total votes : 2

Poll Order of menu's in main menu bar

Postby jokro » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:35 am

In the discussion about harmonizing the FP menustructure, Geoff stated in posthttps://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freeplane/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12&p=118#p118:
But, just to recap, for other people's benefit, not yours: the new menu retains one minor weakness of the existing one.. the horizontal sequence of 3 of the main menu headings (Node Features -- Styles --Format) seems sub-optimal. My not-too-radical suggestion for resequencing:

xxx-- Format -- Node Features -- Styles ---xxx

Please give your opinion on this in the poll, also if you don' t care. My opinition is to follow Geoff's proposal, as it is in line with the principles I stated before.

Regards
Jokro
jokro

Re: Poll Order of menu's in main menu bar

Postby spinifex » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am

Just to expand on my reasoning for this new sequence (reasoning which I think is also in tune with Jokro's)

Freeplane -- File -- Edit -- Views -- Nodes-- Format -- Node Features -- Styles ---Navigate -- Filter -- Tools -- Map -- Help

rather than the existing:

Freeplane -- File -- Edit -- Views -- Nodes-- Node Features -- Styles --Format ---Navigate -- Filter -- Tools -- Map -- Help

To me there are several principles (not mutually exclusive, often potentially contradictory) to be considered in sequencing such submenus:

1) Traditional location of the same/similar submenus in other apps (eg "App Name" and "File" towards left, "Help" at far right). These traditions are probably informed by the other principles below.

2) Left-to-right ordering along a gradient of decreasing scale, i.e. the "size" of the part of the "document" the function acts upon (e.g a "File" submenu should be appear before a "Nodes" submenu)

3) Left-to-right ordering along a gradient of decreasing expected average usage of the functions in the sub-menu (e.g a "Filter" submenu should be appear after a "Format" submenu)

4) Left-to-right ordering along a gradient of decreasing expected average complexity/difficulty of the functions in the sub-menu (e.g a "Node Features" submenu should be appear after a "Nodes" submenu)

5) Right-side location of any submenu whose items don't fit into a neat categorical "box", but contain an assortment of miscellaneous items (e.g. the current "Navigation" submenu contains many items that are more connected to a "View" submenu [i.e. all the items that fold/unfold the map] but the View" submenu is already overfull.)

When thinking about re-ordering the submenus, one should look beyond the headings themselves, to the actual items within the submenus, and see how each list shapes up *on average* compared with the other lists, with respect to the various principles.

My re-ordering (and in particular the shift of "Styles" more to the right) may be highly coloured by my own usage experience. I do not consider these shifts individually critical, but taking these principles into consideration generally, in such a complex menu system as we have in FP, is critical.

And I think that many of the revisions in Jokro's new menu are improvements because they seem to yield --overall -- a more optimised clustering and sequencing of items with respect to the principles suggested above.

cheers

geoff
spinifex

Re: Poll Order of menu's in main menu bar

Postby jokro » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:57 pm

I have uploaded a menufile with Geoffs proposal which can be installed and tested, see https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/freeplane/view.php?id=1207. In this file also the context menu of Nodes is changed and made consistent with the main menu. Please test and give your opinion.

To test:
1. Open Tools > Open user directory
2. Make subdirectory resources and open it
3. make subsubdirectory xml
4. download the file mindmapmodemenuV2.xml from the above location
5. rename it in mindmapmodemenu.xml
6. Put it in resources/xml
7. Restart Freeplane
Regards,
Jokro
jokro

Return to Open Discussion