Encryption

Encryption

Postby jokro » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:05 pm

I have included a description of encryption in the new Fp documentation. What is missing is
1. a description of the type of encryption being used, how safe it is.
2. The old documentation says it is an experimental functionality. What is the status now ? In my experience it behaves as expected 8-)
Can someone help me with these questions ?
regards
jokro
jokro

Re: Encryption

Postby jokro » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:07 pm

The encryption toggle lock is not clickable. It is possible to add a Hyperlink (menu item) to make it clickable, but then two icon-locks appear in the node. This is disturbing. Couldn't the first lock be made clickable ?
regards
jokro
jokro

Postby jokro » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Encryption does not function in a Java Applet. I miss this feature.
What do you think ?
regards
jokro
jokro

Postby dpolivaev » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:17 am

I want to make a release. It means that only bugs should be fixed and new functionality should be polished, but no new issues should be raised. It relates to never clickable icons, clouds for node groups. If I start to implement all those things we shall never have a release.

I shall check how encrption works with an applet. Reading of encrypted nodes should be possible there.

Regards, Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby jokro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 pm

I have included a description of encryption in the new Fp documentation. What is missing is
1. a description of the type of encryption being used, how safe it is.
2. The old documentation says it is an experimental functionality. What is the status now ? In my experience it behaves as expected 8-)
Can someone help me with these questions ?

Please react.

Jokro
jokro

Postby andressf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm

2009-08-20 21:49:25 CEST
"Look in package org.freeplane.features.common.addins.encrypt .
It uses algorithm "PBEWithMD5AndDES" of javax.crypto.Cipher"

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepl ... ic/3372987
andressf

Postby dpolivaev » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I do not care about the old documentation. Andres is right about the used encryption. If you like you can find in internet more info about its safety level. But I would not expect this encryption were unbreakable.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1284 ... hmd5anddes

Dimitry
dpolivaev
Site Admin

Postby jokro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Andres & Dimitry,
thx, this is the information I was missing.
regards,
jokro
jokro

Postby riffdog » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:17 pm

dpolivaev wrote:If you like you can find in internet more info about its safety level. But I would not expect this encryption were unbreakable.
My guess is that people will view encryption of maps similar to how they view encryption built into other document apps like word processing or spreadsheet programs - a convenient layer of protection, but with the realization that it will not withstand skilled attack. For users who want greater security, there are other options like Truecrypt and similar programs.
riffdog

Postby jokro » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:36 pm

You are probably right. I aksked the question to give information in the documentation of the kind of encrypion, which I understand is DES, so that people can find more on the Internet. It is breakable (what is not), but sufficiant for most users. I am very happy that it is now working as it should be.
Regards,
Jokro
jokro

Return to Open Discussion